ArmA II with onboard graphics ?

Associate
Hi, just wondering if I will be able to play ArmA II with the following spec :

AMD Phenom II 955

4 GB OCZ Platinum pc3-12800

and my ASUS m4a785td-v evo onboard graphics card (cant afford a 5850 yet)
The onboard card is a Radeon HD 4200 I believe which can share system memory.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Im no expert but i highly doubt it, More so because its so damn buggy!

Have they even fixed it yet? it was made completely unplayable for me after they released there 2nd or 3rd patch

Zip

Zip

Soldato
SLANDER.

The current 1.05 is pretty rock solid in my opinion.

When you consider the size of the game, bugs at launch were inevitable.

In answer to the op, I doubt it would run on onboard VGA.

I could actually play the game at launch and the few bugs i encountered didnt bother me.

After the 2nd or 3rd patch/update it was doomed for me, i couldnt play it anymore because it would just crash all the time

What kind of card would I need to chew it up ? Could I get away with an XFX xxx 5770 ?

When i could play it i was going on almost everything on the highest setting(From memory) with a 285 GTX

Soldato
5850/5870 or 470/480GTX Nvidia, GTX280+

My GTX260 is pretty rubbish with it tbh.

TBH I don't think you will ever get it playing on great grpahics with high frames, the engine is buggy, I think the game is ace but too ambitious, should be do-able in 5 years time, but to much for the hardware on sale atm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Two 4890s and an i7 eat this game. This game relies a fair bit on the type of CPU you have for generating algorithms for AI movement and general processing.

@ 2048x1152 all maximium + low AA I get around 60FPS and can happily record 1080 fraps video which makes for some nice youtube videos!

I could see 1.05 working with onboard graphics as it was optimised a fair bit since 1.0 launch release. But don't expect anything amazing.

I know a few who use the 955 chip you have, id say just grab a better GPU down the line and you should have a nice experience. Personally I would go for a 5850 and overclock to 5870 speeds.

Soldato
I wouldn't bother running it on any card. Awful game and controls

LOL. This is hilarious.

WASD - Movement
F - Change Weapon
Left Mouse - Shoot
Right Mouse - Zoom
Scroll Wheel - Select Menu & Scroll

If you are basing this off 1.01 then you are a fool. Play 1.05 with a few addons and the game is mind blowing.

WarFx
JTD Fire and Smoke
ACE 2
ACE SM + CSM2
Tango Romeo sound mod
WarFX Tracers

Are just some of the addons which make this game visually stunning and one of the most immersive experiences offered in a game. :p

If you need any help Darkst4r give me a PM, been playing this nearly a year now along with map making. Really worth getting into a proper COOP clan for this game, there is a good few realism ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope you will struggle.

And to all you haters ITS THE BEST GAME EVER MADE :p

If ya install ACE2 it just gets so much better all so.

And yes the 1.05 patch helps but I am a fan boy but will admit the engine is buggy and dang you need a good pc to even run the title screen hehehe.

Soldato
I think the game is ace but too ambitious, should be do-able in 5 years time, but to much for the hardware on sale atm.

Without developers pushing these boundaries though, what would we have?

Personally, I think the game although MASSIVE works very well but we all expect different things.

I wouldn't bother running it on any card. Awful game and controls

And I imagine so of any other game you simply DONT LIKE, but that is a matter of your opinion.

Whats the ATI equivalent ?

Not sure, but I am running this on a 5770 1GB and it is more than acceptable at 1680x1050 on medium settings.

As mentioned, the game is more CPU bound than VGA although some decent VGA hardware is still preferred.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes this game is very very CPU intensive of course you need a good GPU but the CPU makes a massive diff the AI will just eat it.

I have

Q6700
8800GT and tbh i can not get full potential even now but meh I dont care the game ROCKS BABY YEAH :).

Who else here plays this with ACE2 cus we should hook up some time and have a blast :).

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Have they redone or is there anyone that has redone the Voices so its not "ENEMY at ONE O'clock" :p

Might start it up again if the bugs are gone and its play able, I really did enjoy it. I just couldnt stop it from crashing.

Soldato
Have they redone or is there anyone that has redone the Voices so its not "ENEMY at ONE O'clock" :p

Might start it up again if the bugs are gone and its play able, I really did enjoy it. I just couldnt stop it from crashing.

Nor me not one crash.

If you install 1.05 they have fixed so much.

Do your self a favor install ACE2 that disables them voices as standard.

So as I said we must make a arma 2 thread and hook up and start up an OCUK clan would kick ass.

Soldato
What kind of card would I need to chew it up ? Could I get away with an XFX xxx 5770 ?

No. I tried it a few days ago on my 5770 on 1680 x 1050 in highest settings. Ran like crap. Downed a few settings like res to 1440 x 900 and some shadows and it works good then.

Runs about the same as GTA4 (rest of my system is [email protected], 2gb, win7 64bit)

Soldato
I was never able to get the game running properly, massive lag and the graphics were blurry with missing textures.
Then the last patch came out.
All is well with the world, performs nicely on 955/8gig/4870 1gb, it's a great game.

Back
Top Bottom