Win XP Freezing on install

Associate
Hi,

I am trying to install windows xp and everytime it has copied all the files across then reboots the windows logo comes up and it freezes, i have tried installed win7 also same problem, i have run diagnostics on the motherboard,cpu, hdd and graphics card all fine no errors. The machine is an AMD 64 3000 system on a unmarked board i just dont know what other tests i can do.

Thanks in advance

J.B

J.B

Soldato
RAM test?

I would try doing the install with minimum hard ware, so take out any PCI cards, and disable onboard sound, ethernet etc just to test.

Associate
OP
Done it already full memtest scan running from hirens boot cd all other items disabled or disconnected all passed fine

Associate
i had similar problems. i was running a 512mb and a 1024mb ddr sticks, and depite clean on memtest i always had my doubts about the 1024 stick (occasionally pc wouldnt post until i took it out, then miraculously fix itself a few days later...).

but then when i had to reuse it while my replacement motherboard came through, i found it refused to install any form of windows (various errors). i eventually removed the stick and voila. put it back in after the install and everything was hunky dory...

Associate
OP
Its not a new pc its an old amd 64 3000 i was going to try installing win xp home on it but i didnt think there was much driver difference between the 2, i have tried both sticks of ram on the own in each slot and still the same problem. seeing as i have audio,lan and firewire turned off in the bios i cant see there is much left to have a problem with that i can test.

Back
Top Bottom