In need of a new phone in the next few weeks, bit of a phone noob

Soldato
Hey guys, i currently loathe my N96 with a passion and contract is now up, so will be looking for a new phone fairly soon.

Issues with the N96 are:
Absolutely shocking battery life, if i browse during breaks at uni the battery will be dead within a 2 hours, let alone trying to use it as a mp3 player which is even more shocking. Its buggy and slow, and locks up often, daily i have to remove the battery to reset it, the battery falls out as the rear cover is made of the most pathetic plastic and delicate parts that it no longer stays on. the camera is also pretty poor.

Anyway, enough of that, after a quick browse on here i have come to the conclusion that the popular phones at the moment seem to be the HTC Desire and the sony ericsson X10. Are there any others to consider? I hate itunes more than i hate my n96, and do not what it on my pc so no iphone ta :D

I really liked my old sony ericsson phone, so im tempted to head that direction.

What im after:
*good battery life (though nothing can be as bad as this n96)
*Decent sound quality through earphones for music
*fast navigation that doesnt lock up etc
*Decent enough camera
*Decent web browser
*I would like to have sat nav on the phone too, assuming both of these can do this no worrys?
*normal stuff too like text etc

Yeah, think thats it, any help would be greatly appreicated, especially first hand experience of either or both :)

Man of Honour
If it doesn't have to be a touchscreen phone then the Nokia E72 is probably worth a look, I got one fairly recently and it fits all your criteria. The battery life lasts for a few days even with a hour and a half of listening to music every day while commuting, random web browsing and texting/phone calls - I'm not a particularly heavy user but you could at least expect a couple of days out of it. The camera is 5mp, it's obviously not exceptional by any means but it isn't too shabby either. Nokia now has free Sat Nav on its phones and while it might not rival a dedicated unit it's more than sufficient for most purposes.

Associate
I am currently looking at the Nexus 1. Don't know if you can buy it in the UK yet, but you can buy it direct from google.

Btw for the N96, to save battery life you can reduce the brightness of the screen. Also i'm currently doing charges every two days with moderate use (about 2 hours of watching avi's, a few phone calls and listening to podcasts. wifi kills the battery life)

Back
Top Bottom