O2 - "You don't have a smartphone"!

Soldato
Just had the most amazing phone conversation with O2.
My wife has a Nokia 5800.
She used to be on a "Simplicity" tarrif and wanted to upgrade to "Simplicity for Smartphones 12 months"
This way her £10 per month became £15 but she got unlimited data.

"That tariff isn't available" is what the O2 woman said.
But we said we were looking at that tariff on screen.
"That tariff isn't available to you" is what she went on to say.
We asked why not, we were told we didn't have a Smartphone.
We explained we did, but no, O2 do not class this phone as a Smartphone and so we cannot have the Simplicity for Smartphone deal.

We were livid and were going to leave there and then.
Eventually we were sold Simplicity for iPhone 12 months which offers the same deal.
So we cannot buy a "for Smartphone" tariff becuae O2 don't class the 5800 as a smartphone.
Yet eventually they would sell us an iPhone tariff!!

Absolutley unbelievable.
It shouldn't matter what phone you have, if we want to buy this tariff we should be able to.
Over half an hour spent on the phone over this - crazy!

Soldato
what a bunch of nonces. thank god mine is one of the old 1 month simplicity packs where it was just a bolt on you could choose.

Associate
It is slightly bonkers that they would have a tariff specifically for (by their definition) smartphones.

The problem is that there is no industry-standard definition of a "smartphone".

Soldato
As the OP said, who cares what phone they have. A smartphone tariff can be ordered over the net with no proof of a smartphone. Absurd they won't let their own customer go onto the tariff.

Soldato
I thought the whole point of Simplicity was that all they were selling you was a Sim card and you supply your own phone to put it in - how did they even know you had a Nokia 5800?
Why not just phone up again, get connected to a different sales rep and claim you have an HTC Hero now or something? It's not like the Sim cares what phone you put it in.

sid

sid

Soldato
I got that tariff without any questions being asked about my phone. I was upgrading as well if you were wondering

sid

Associate
Thing is how do you define a smart phone? I'm looking at my S40 Nokia that lets me install 3rd party apps (java), lets me collect email, browse the web, twitter hell it even does multi-tasking (I can listen to music and still do other stuff). I wouldn't call it a smartphone though....

Soldato
OP
My wife upgraded to what she was told over the phone was Simplicity 15 for Smartphones about 4 weeks ago.
It wasn't until her first bill came in and she found she was still on Simplicity 15 and they had put an unlimited internet bolt-on on her account instead.
Wasn't a major difference in price, however it was more expensive and not what she had asked for or apparently been sold.

Although I'm sure she could have eventually argued that she was mis-sold the deal and could she have her PAC code, she's never had a reception issue with O2.
Moving networks can be a general pain - one not required if the telco is willing to sort the issue out.

I see too many people jumping ship at the first sign of trouble.
Yes this issue was unbelievable.
Yes it's an issue that never should have arrisen.
Yes it was an issue that got my wifes back up more than me.

But at the end of the day she now has the tariff she wanted and hasn't got to go through the hassle of moving to another network.

Associate
The Nokia 5800 has so many features, why shouldn't it be classed as a smartphone? Wifi, 3g, email, video, apps, camera...features are endless in the phone and I've had it over a year and its still great!

Soldato
5800 isnt a smart phone. Never has it been classed as one, never has it been sold as one, never will it be one.

It's an ok phone, very ok in fact, but far from smart

Soldato
If the 5800 isn't a smartphone, then the N95/N96/N97 aren't smart phones. While there is no proper definition, it has to be if there is to be consistency on what people call the other phones.

I think its safe to call all most S60 3rd edition phones and all 5th edition phones, smartphones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S60_platform#S60_versions_and_supported_devices

Even for 2nd edition phones, the N70 for example was very much a smartphone.

Last edited:
Soldato
It has all the hardware capabilities of a definitive smartphone, Wifi, 3G, GPS, Touch Screen etc. It even has an old ARM11 chip. So what are you debating? The software? Symbian may not be the most user friendly but as far as i remember S60 was designed to run on smartphones?

Associate
5800 isnt a smart phone. Never has it been classed as one, never has it been sold as one, never will it be one.

OK, so why not? What would you class as a smartphone? Just curious as I have a 5800 too, and would have labelled it a smartphone.

Aod

Aod

Soldato

the 5800 runs S60v5 - a smartphone Operating system. it allows the concurrent running of as many apps as you like, memory permitting.

the 5800 IS most definitely a smartphone.

Associate
to the op, i work for o2 and tbh the adviser you spoke to just sounds like a complete nonce. Anybody can get the £5 smartphone bolt on and i dont get what she was on about. In fact just today i did the exact same tariff for someone as the one you requested :s i just dont get why she allowed you to go for the iphone one anyway when the iphone one is specifically for the iphone! Its not like its any more difficult for them on there end.

Back
Top Bottom