Flat buying advice

Soldato
Hey everyone,

I'm currently thinking of getting on the property ladder, and as such have been looking around flats in my local area. The main problem I have is trying to decide between a 1 or 2 bed flat. For the money I can get a much nicer, more spacious flat in a nice area, or could get an average 2 bed. The main benefits I can see of 2 beds is that if I ever need I have the option to rent out the 2nd room, plus have extra storage and a room for friends should the come stay. I think a 2 bed would probably be easier to sell in the future. However I don't NEED a 2nd bed, I'm a single guy and as such having a nice living room and a flat in a nicer area is more important to me. So I'm basically just asking for everyone opinion, ideally with people experienced in the market! Any advice welcome.

Blinkz

Soldato
OP
You mention you could rent out the 2nd room...this is a good idea but do you really think you would do that? Or would you prefer to live alone? :)

Well no, at present I don't need to rent the 2nd room. I'm earning enough to cover mortgage/bills etc. But you never know what the future brings, could lose my job etc. I also have to admit that living with a stranger in my own home isn't the most appealing thought. Sure it would be great if you get on well but if you don't....

Soldato
I'd always go for an extra bedroom if you can afford it comfortably. I've been living in a one bedroom flat for the last 6 years and often feel that I could do with an extra room for guests or even just storing things out of sight.

Soldato
OP
I really don't have that much junk lol. Just the usual clothes, a PC and a big TV lol. I rarely have the need for friends to stay over either. I could afford a 2nd bed no problem, but as I said its more to do with the difference in quality. I could get a REALLY nice 1 bed, or just an average 2 bed.

Associate
I really don't have that much junk lol. Just the usual clothes, a PC and a big TV lol. I rarely have the need for friends to stay over either. I could afford a 2nd bed no problem, but as I said its more to do with the difference in quality. I could get a REALLY nice 1 bed, or just an average 2 bed.

From reading this, it seems like you would prefer a REALLY nice 1 bed :p

Caporegime
I have a 2 bed house, I converted the second room to be a study/guest bedroom - so much nicer having guests stay in that rather than on the floor of the lounge.

Associate
It seems like you want the 1 bed place.
On that basis alone i'd go through with it. For the same amount of money the 1bed is always going to be better than the 2 bed (room size).

The advantage of the 2nd bedroom is something you shouldnt overlook though. when mates come down, to store stuff away its worth its weight in gold.

Personally i'd look for a 2 bed place with a small second bedroom. whats the price differential like?

Soldato
2 bed or 1+ box room which is what I live in. There's two of us but even with a large living room it's hard to store everything although that's mostly down to my missus and her crafting addiction. Moving to a 4 bedroom house within the next 6 weeks hopefully and will be selling my flat in Glasgow if you want! :p

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice! Nice to have a big response. I admit the one bed places I've looked around have been very nice and I do feel I could live in them. However the main driving force is that there seem to be more 1 bed places on the market then 2 bed at the moment. I've been looking around houses for around 3 months now and have to admit to getting pretty sick of it. I just want to find a place and have it sorted!! Not the best or most objectionable view! The price difference is hard to quantify, in the same location and same quality of flat the difference is £50k+ but there aren't many 2 bed and 1 bed in the same location. The majority of the 2 bed are slightly further out of the town then most of the 1 beds.

I'm just a little concerned that if I get a 1 bed I'll struggle to sell it on when I want to move on in a couple of years.

Associate
Depending on the type of flats you’re looking at make sure you check out what the management company that maintain the flat are like. I had a flat for 4 years and will never have one again because of all the issues I had with stuff breaking and services like cleaning being stopped or never done. To add insult to injury the cost jumped by 30% each year it seemed. The entire block kicked up a fuss but it got nowhere. Not all flats are like this and it all depends on your contact so just read up first before getting in too deep. My view is somewhat warped though so don’t listen to me :D

Soldato
Factor fees are a pain in the rear, agree with Duggan it's especially annoying when it's a large company that's involved as you get nowhere when you complain. We've been waiting on the windows being painted externally at our flat for 3 years - I'll be doing them this summer once we move and before my flat is put on the market, that's not the point - the ***** took the money for the work and now simply say we're "on the list to be done" but can't even guarantee it'll be within the next year.

You're also completely at the mercy of them as they change the pricing and charge for pretty much anything. It's a cash cow they love to milk. We'll be moving to a house soon and I can't damn well wait.

Caporegime
Depending on the type of flats you’re looking at make sure you check out what the management company that maintain the flat are like. I had a flat for 4 years and will never have one again because of all the issues I had with stuff breaking and services like cleaning being stopped or never done. To add insult to injury the cost jumped by 30% each year it seemed. The entire block kicked up a fuss but it got nowhere. Not all flats are like this and it all depends on your contact so just read up first before getting in too deep. My view is somewhat warped though so don’t listen to me :D

er he seems to be suggesting he is BUYING not renting.

unless people count renting as beeing on the property ladder these days:confused:

anyway i'd go 2bed more room is always nice but i like to grow chillis and veg so south facing window = win

Back
Top Bottom