Very bad/thirsty i7 930 or am I just not doing it right?

Associate
OP
Set PLL to 1.8V and check stability again.
That's a no go unfortunately. LinX fails with stock PLL (1.8). Haven't tried it anywhere in between though. I know I shouldn't need anywhere near 1.88 PLL for 4GHz though so that's definitely something I want to get down.

I'm going to wait to see if I'm a full 12 hrs prime stable with these new settings first though. That's when I'll start working to lower volts.

Associate
OP
Well bad news..

Got the blank/unresponsive screen during prime at around the 3hr mark..

This happened last night so before going to bed I started another run, this time with the QPI voltage bumped to 1.35v (it refused to load windows with 1.2v) and 1.86 PLL.

Came in to find a '124' code BSOD this morning.. So obviously increasing the QPI volts did nothing, and basically made things worse.

So what to do now? I'm actually starting to think this strange blank screen I get during prime is due to something unrelated to my OC... and possibly graphics card/drivers, because I have been having trouble with it recently..

Associate
Hi,

I could never get 191 x 21 stable on my i7 920 D0 chip, but for some strange reason 200 x 20 with turbo mode disabled worked a charm.:D

Maybe you should give it a try:p

jamie

Soldato
Well bad news..

Got the blank/unresponsive screen during prime at around the 3hr mark..

This happened last night so before going to bed I started another run, this time with the QPI voltage bumped to 1.35v (it refused to load windows with 1.2v) and 1.86 PLL.

Came in to find a '124' code BSOD this morning.. So obviously increasing the QPI volts did nothing, and basically made things worse.

So what to do now? I'm actually starting to think this strange blank screen I get during prime is due to something unrelated to my OC... and possibly graphics card/drivers, because I have been having trouble with it recently..

What length of time is windows set to go to sleep? I've had issues with P6T SE boards and some radeon cards where sleep mode resulted in a blank screen or random bluescreen, unrelated to the overclock as it did it at stock too.. Tried latest BIOS/Drivers with no luck!

Associate
OP
What length of time is windows set to go to sleep? I've had issues with P6T SE boards and some radeon cards where sleep mode resulted in a blank screen or random bluescreen, unrelated to the overclock as it did it at stock too.. Tried latest BIOS/Drivers with no luck!
I have had sleep mode disabled since before I began OCing, so that can't be the cause. I even tried turning off the screen saver during a prime run before, and still had the blank screen.

I do have an issue though, that whenever I exit a game my screen will freeze temporarily, go blank for a few seconds, then return to the desktop. Usually continues to do this for a number of times until finally going back to normal. These freezes are usually accompanied by a 'Display driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered' message afterwards.

So this is why I suspect these issues to be related. And unrelated to the OC.

I just don't know what to do now. Suppose I could give 200x20 a try as suggested.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is with a prime fail it does indeed sometime shut off the video and either never wakes up or reboots the pc, so that could be normal for a fail when pushed too far. atikmdag messages when i had it was related to a bad RAM module, failed memtest as well, could be your memory not getting enough volts or possibly a bad stick.

Associate
OP
Thing is with a prime fail it does indeed sometime shut off the video and either never wakes up or reboots the pc, so that could be normal for a fail when pushed too far. atikmdag messages when i had it was related to a bad RAM module, failed memtest as well, could be your memory not getting enough volts or possibly a bad stick.
I have ran memtest a number of times and it has never reported errors. You've made me quite concerned though so I'm going to do another memtest run tonight!

Associate
CPU ratio - 21.0
Speedstep - Disabled
BCLK - 200
PCIE Freq - 100
DRAM Freq - 1603MHz
UCLK Freq - Auto
QPI Link Data Rate - Auto

CPU voltage - 1.38 or above
CPU PLL Voltage - auto
QPI/DRAM voltage - 1.4 or above
IOH Voltage - auto