Vaccinations for Thailand

Associate
There seems to be a lot of Thailand threads about recently but I didn't want to hijack any of those with my question.

I'm off to Thailand in July and just wanted to know if I need to get vaccinated against anything?

I've checked a few sites and some say nothing, some say Hepatitis A, Diptheria and Yellow Fever. I'm going to Bangkok and then to Phi Phi island if that makes a difference?

Thanks

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;16344544 said:
Book to see the travel nurse at your Dr; they will give you the right advice and the shots. Can't remember what I had.

This

Do it asap as some of the injections require a repeat dosage a few weeks after

Soldato
When you say "Thailand", which part? Are you going to eat food from the roadside?

If I were visiting Thailand and staying in a decent resort/hotel and planned to avoid roadside food, I probably wouldn't bother having any of them. If I didn't have it already I would go for Hepatitis B, that would be it.

Soldato
You will need numerous vaccines to goto Thailand and be "good to go". A work colleague has gone recently and left it to the 11th hour to get it sorted.

Considering they like you to ideally have had the shots a month before you go, start looking now. There is also waiting lists at some doctors and the only way to get around it is to pay privatley. This costs a lot!

Moral of story; call doctor, book soon, get it done!

Soldato
When you say "Thailand", which part? Are you going to eat food from the roadside?

If I were visiting Thailand and staying in a decent resort/hotel and planned to avoid roadside food, I probably wouldn't bother having any of them. If I didn't have it already I would go for Hepatitis B, that would be it.

I think Hep B is the only one you need multiple doses for?

Associate
I think Hep B is the only one you need multiple doses for?

Rabies needs 3 shots too if you opt to go for it, cost me ~£100 for the actual injections in 2007 but not sure if the price has gone up or down.

As long as you stay away from rabid dogs and lady boys you should be fine though, i'd just save your money.

Wouldnt bother with anti malrials either for the places you are going but upto you.

Soldato
Been there many times and lived there for two years without ever having any injections for it. Oh, and I eat the roadside food all the time (safer than most of the hotels in my opinion!).

Same, Ate nearly every day at the roadside stalls.
Always went to the busy ones though.
I was also a dirty stop out whilst there, doesn't appear to have dropped off now 2 years later so I guess I got away with it. :D

Soldato
Been there many times and lived there for two years without ever having any injections for it. Oh, and I eat the roadside food all the time (safer than most of the hotels in my opinion!).

this tbh

when i went i didn't get any cos i booked the holiday last minute and the vacs wouldn't of kicked in until i was back. just use bug spray to keep the mozzies off to be safe ;)

Soldato
Hep A and Typhoid (free) and Malaria tabs (£15 for a prescription). Going in June myself.

Diphtheria, Tetanus if you have not had in the last 10 years.

Heb B if you are going to be screwing ladyboyz ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I had the hep B one just to be safe for my trips over there.

It does cost a bit though...or you could make up some un protected sex story and get it free at a gum clinic :p

Back
Top Bottom