Twitter

Soldato
It is entirely what you make of it, if you want to keep upto date with pretty much anything, people, companies, events then you can, it's entirely subscription based, so what you like you follow, you don't see anything else.

It isn't a social network in the same sense as the others, no matter how many times it's compared to facebook statuses. It's a micro-blogging service. You have your feed and you can add to it as and when you please, people can subscribe to your feed, and you can subscribe to a distinct set of peoples feeds.

You can get a lot out of twitter even if you never tweet. I'd say the biggest strength is collaborative communication, which is most common using hashtags, basically anything with a #tagname appended or within the message, makes it easier to search for, so if you're interested in #ge2010 (the general election 2010) you can just search that and see what people are saying at this point in time. Most twitter applications allow you to save a feed of a search so it will update like your feed of people you follow would.

Soldato
I find the more you use it the better it gets. I can see that people who have just signed up and aren't following anyone can find it rather pointless, but if you follow plenty of people who you are interested in then imo it's great.

I'm preferring it over Facebook at the moment, as it's not full of informing me what groups people have joined and what what pages people have become fans of. I've got it following plenty of people I find interesting, so theres always something new to read.

@chriscooper45

Soldato
I only use my twitter for posting pictures from my phone to the internet as it seems the easiest way, just to email them to my linked twitpic account.
I only have five 'followers', and I'm pretty sure they are only following me to see pictures of my cat.

Back
Top Bottom