New Toys! - Sony MRC1K + Backpack (Lots of Pics)

Soldato
Well I'm off to WRC Portugal in May and my normal Portabrace camera bag wont get through hand luggage so I bought one that will just. Although its a little bigger than I thought its still cool!

DSCF0001.JPG

It will also fit a 17" laptop in the back of the bag but I plan to put a ION2 netbook when they are released.

DSCF0003.JPG

Fits everything in perfectly!
DSCF0005.JPG

Tis a bit big :D
DSCF0016.JPG

My Next purchase for the Rally and other things is a solid state recorder for my Sony HVR-Z1E. As this camera is tape based it used to take hours to get all the footage off tape onto the PC for editing.

Now all I have to do is remove the CF and copy the files onto my PC - Having hours of processing time saved.

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0013.JPG

DSCF0014.JPG

Then I needed some decent CF cards so I purchased:

DSCF0012.JPG

Sandisk ones will be used mainly but transcend is there for back reasons. They will give me about 150mins per 32GB

DSCF0015.JPG

2 sets of CF readers and Sony Pro Duo for 2 other HD cameras I have.

DSCF0017.JPG

To give you an idea of the tapes I've used here is most of them and they are about £10 per tape. There is about 50 tapes there so the MRC1K over time will save me some cash and a hell of a lot of time!

Soldato
OP
Pretty nifty, what format does that MRC record to?

Also £10 a tape! What's wrong with the Sony Premium DV ones at about £2 a tape?

edit/ s****y is a banned word lol

AVI - AVCHD which is then converted to Cineform AVI.

The HDV63 are wetdry media so it doesnt leave crap on your head. I dont plan to buy more tapes because they will only be there if the MRC1K footage fails some how. I'll be reusing my old tapes and once hope the older tapes will go into a loop.

Soldato
Very nice, I commend you on getting hold of a backup that conforms to flight luggage sizes, I did the same for a camera bag. Like me though I almost guarantee that you will be stood in the check-in queue watching people with blatantly oversized hand luggage get away with it...! Sods law though if I tried it would end in tears! :)

Soldato
OP
That is pretty cool, a bit like the Red software, think I might have to invest in the up to date Cineform at some point rather than using the older version I found :p

Yeah I have a purchased licence of NeoHD and V5 has loads of other stuff:

CineForm is enthused to announce version 5 of our Neo family for both Windows and Mac. There are many new features and capabilities rolled into the new version as discussed below.

SUMMARY
----------
- Platforms: Both Win and Mac, including new versions for each Neo family member: Scene / HD / 4K / 3D.
- All previous Neo versions on both Win and Mac will be incremented to Version 5.
- Ship Date: Approximately end of April. Public beta releases will be available the week after NAB.
- Prospect (HD/4K/3D) families are absorbed in the Neo family. This means that the Prospect family is retiring after a long and productive life. (Don't worry, Prospect customers will be happy with the move to Neo). And yes, the CineForm editing experience is a good one in CS5.

New features are many, and include:

NEW OVERALL FEATURES
------------------------
- Support for CS5 on Windows (CS5 Mac support within a couple months). CS5 support includes special 3D capability including 3D renders and 3D titling.
- The return of HD-SDI monitoring within CS5 through a third-party plug-in (more on this soon).
- 3D content creation and editing is added to all Neo products except for Neo Scene, at no change in current prices.
- Support for OpenGL surfaces for monitoring as either a primary or secondary display (or both), including for 3D active and passive displays.

NEW FIRST LIGHT FEATURES FOR NEO HD/4K
-------------------------------------------

- Keyframeable Active Metadata for primary color controls.
- New "Tools" control as video overlay for burn-in or other uses. Histogram overlay was previously supported. New tools include vectorscopes, waveform, and "grid lines" (particularly useful for 3D adjustments).
- Text/graphics engine built in as part of Passive Metadata tab. Allows for addition of text overlays as metadata on top of video. Allows selection of fonts, sizes, color, outlines, etc. Supports 3D parallax control for 3D subtitles with 3D depth independent of underlying video.
- Graphics engine also supports PNG overlays for logos or other uses. Also supports independent parallax control to present 2D objects as 3D.
- New passive metadata extraction during file conversion. All passive metadata now appears in the Passive Metadata tab within First Light.
- Support for OpenGL surfaces for monitoring, including for 3D active and passive displays.

HD LINK (WIN) AND REMASTER (MAC)
------------------------------------

- On WinDOWS, HD Link is scheduled for a major interface overhaul. The result will be similar to the interface used for ReMaster on Mac, and will include many new features. This is not completed yet, but when it is finished it will be provided as a free update to all Neo HD/4K/3D customers.

NEW NEO3D FIRST LIGHT FEATURES
-----------------------------------

- Addition of separate Left eye and Right eye 3D controls. (Previously Right eye or Both).
- Keyframeability of convergence controls to match clip transitions.
- Floating window masks to manage 3D window violations.
- ‘Ghost busting’ to minimize high-contrast crosstalk between Left and Right channels visible on some 3D display technologies
- Dual-link stereo output will directly drive RealD or Dolby projectors directly from the FCP or PPro timelines.

PRICING
--------

No change in pricing from current versions. Pricing below reflects a) new license purchases, and b) upgrade prices from the previous version to version 5:

- NeoScene: a) $129 b) $49 upgrade
- NeoHD: a) $499 b) $149 upgrade
- Neo4K: a) $999 b) $249 upgrade
- Neo3D: a) $2995 or b) free upgrade

UPGRADE PRICING FOR PROSPECT FAMILY OWNERS
-------------------------------------------------

- Prospect HD v3 or earlier to Neo HD v5: $149
- Prospect HD v4 to Neo4K v5: Free. Yes, All Prospect HD v4 customers will get a free upgrade to Neo4K.
- Prospect 4K (any version) to Neo4K: Free.

DID YOU PURCHASE DURING 2010?
---------------------------------

Any customer who purchased a CineForm license during 2010 will get a free upgrade to version 5 of the equivalent product.

A NOTE FOR THE ARITHMETICALLY CHALLENGED:
If you upgrade from a previous version of Prospect HD to version 4 of Prospect HD ($199) before we ship version 5, you will get a free upgrade to Neo4K v5.

Soldato
Would be great knowing that you have two copies recording together - must be great for backups.

Do you archive all the tapes but use the CF cards for edit?

Do you have dual readouts about time remaining? I take it you can record to the memory card while changing the tape?

Soldato
OP
Would be great knowing that you have two copies recording together - must be great for backups.

Do you archive all the tapes but use the CF cards for edit?

Do you have dual readouts about time remaining? I take it you can record to the memory card while changing the tape?

Before I'd only ever use a tape once so have 50 or 60 brand new tapes with only 1 hour use. So now I'm reusing them in a cycle, I don’t even look at the tapes. I Confirm I have the data on the CF card and then after the project is finished the tape will go back of the library.

Yes I edit the M2T files directly in CS5. Yeah I have 64 mins per tape and 240mins on a 32GB CF so changing the tape twice per CF card. I think you can change the tape without stopping the CF recording but I don’t bother.

Soldato
Sounds really handy that. It definitely would speed up the workflow I'd imagine. How long does it take you to load up the files onto the PC?

I take it the file formats are the same capturing via firewire or copying from CF card?

Do you have to click record on camcorder and the unit or are they both in sync?

Soldato
OP
Sounds really handy that. It definitely would speed up the workflow I'd imagine. How long does it take you to load up the files onto the PC?

I take it the file formats are the same capturing via firewire or copying from CF card?

Do you have to click record on camcorder and the unit or are they both in sync?

The MRC1K is the BEST EVER! For example if I was just filming on tape it would have took me 5 hours to get the footage onto the PC. Now with the MRC1K the footage is there within 10-15mins via the Sony software.

MRC1K creates files in M2T, MPEG Transport. If you connect the camera via firewire it would depend on the host software. Adobe would be MPEG but MAC would be AVI.

I just record normally via the camera record button there isnt any setting up via menus, just plug in and go. Didnt need to change anything to my 5 year old camera.

Soldato
That does sound class. I don't do enough stuff to merit the need for speeding things up but the dual recording for backup sounds great.

Going forward would it be an option to burn all your raw M2T files to bluray for archiving or do you just backup your finished projects and discard the source stuff?

Soldato
OP
When I have finished a project its moved from my editing PC to my Windows Home Server with folder duplication switched on.

I also use Nero Back up and Burn. This will let me span the massive project (100-200GB)over bluray discs.

Soldato
I think long term I'd prefer to use something like a NAS box to backup all my source files but this would take so much space eventually. No point backing up the end project and the source. All decisions but ultimately I have no money to afford anything other than what I already have!

Soldato
OP
I think long term I'd prefer to use something like a NAS box to backup all my source files but this would take so much space eventually. No point backing up the end project and the source. All decisions but ultimately I have no money to afford anything other than what I already have!

I did/do have a NAS and they were too slow copying 200GB of data across the network. My WHS machine gets 50-80mb/s so eats up the files. Reason why I move everything on to there is I can get at the footage very quickly and the Blurays are only if my WHS died.

Back
Top Bottom