Three holes and an exhaust leak :(

Soldato
Spent a lot of Saturday (a couple of hours at least) angle-grinding, and drilling the rust from the bottom of my 1998 Corsa with various wire-brush attachments. Before under-sealing the whole lot.

However, in doing all this work, I found two holes on my rear passenger footwells - one seems to be in-line with when I bottomed-out the Corsa on a Curb (Kerb?) but the other one I can't recall - unless I bottomed that out as well on a Kerb.

I also seem to have a hole on one of my suspension turrets as well and a leak on my Exhaust, where my back-box was fitted and the sealant wasn't put in properly (easy to fix though at least)

I haven't even got round to fixing the steering wheel grinding noise or replacing my clutch so I'm worried about other nasties I'll find whilst fixing it up for the upcoming MoT in a few months time.

I can't really afford to replace my car; not with the high used-car prices and with wanting to move into a flat in one to two years time.

Has anyone else found any nasty surprises when doing work on their car?

Kind Regards,

David

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone else found any nasty surprises when doing work on their car?

Only yesterday I was about to remove the front passenger side light cluster to remove the pond life from the indicator and I suddenly realised I was spending valuable time working on a Vectra, nasty surprise indeed! I shut the bonnet, wandered round to the garden and cracked open some Magners Pear .. close shave!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I haven't found one in my budget yet, so I'll just need to weld this lot up, or let a friend weld it up for me because I'm not made of money.

I am not suggesting that you dont, it sounds like it is very much worth fixing. I was merely pointing out that complaining about used car prices in the UK is a bit rich, its one of the few products where the UK is an excellent place to be for :)

Soldato
OP
What is your budget? 10p?

Very funny.

My budget is around £2-3k and I can't find any diesel cars within that price range less than 7 years old with a fairly decent mileage (around 40-60k) - not on Autotrader anyway.

Petrol is expensive so it will have to be a diesel for me.

Maybe you're comfortable and well off, but it doesn't mean everyone else is.

Keep your sarcastic comments to yourself.

Caporegime
Not really, I was just enquiring. I have owned three cars which were £550, £600 and £900 so I'm hardly lording it up ;) You'll have to either lower your 'requirements' or up your budget. Used cars are very cheap in this country compared to others.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very funny.

My budget is around £2-3k and I can't find any diesel cars within that price range less than 7 years old with a fairly decent mileage (around 40-60k) - not on Autotrader anyway.

Petrol is expensive so it will have to be a diesel for me.

Maybe you're comfortable and well off, but it doesn't mean everyone else is.

Keep your sarcastic comments to yourself.

I'm sorry...but that post doesn't make sense at all. Cost of fuel is irrelevant, if you do 20miles a year, diesel is pointless as it costs more and has more to go wrong.

There are PLENTY of £2-£3k cars, I assumed you meant sub £1000. Having the criteria that it must be x age and have x miles is pointless, you miss out on loads of good cars just because you want a car in the newer taxing system.

Back
Top Bottom