SPINPOINT F3 1TB V INTEL SSD 40GB

Soldato
Iv just gone from a samsung F1, to the intel 40gb, my boot up time has halfed, applications load a lot quicker, virus scan times have reduced aswell.

Generally the comp feels and works a lot smoother.

My sammys sequential write comfortably beats the SSD, but where things matter in the 4k stuff, the SSD whoops any mechanical drives speed.

So to me id say yes they are deffinatly worth it as a boot drive.

Soldato
40gb is plenty if u have another drive to put the rest of stuff on

i have the 40gb intel which i have the os and used used programs like visual studio and theres plenty of room.

then i just put my games on a velicoraptor.

boot times are very quick, and windows in general is just that much quicker

Soldato
Game load times really aren't that big a deal IMO and often the difference is really small between HDD and SSD. The real advantage to SSD's is on the small operations using the OS and applications that are sped up a lot and your OS and apps should fit in 40GB. A few seconds difference to an already long map load isn't that much of an issue.

Soldato
Blimey, i've got Win 7 on a 30GB Kingston SSD, pagefile and hibernate can be disabled to keep the install less than 10gb. Then there's room for a few choice progs etc.

Soldato
Once you go SSD you wont want to go back. Everything is instant and it does make a nice change to how the pc feels. Minimum size I would go for is 60gb and just use it for your main OS and apps.

Soldato
Get both. One for boot drive and other for games / storage.

I have a 30gb Kingston SSD and I can fully boot from cold in about 15 seconds. Power down in 4. :)

same here - 30gb kingston with W7, office, photoshop, various other programs and still have 10gb left.

Everything else is on my games/storage drive - simply the best upgrade I've made in years to my pc.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
i too would think twice before buying 32/40GB. Plus dont the 40GB intel drives lack TRIM?

I opted for an 80GB Intel X25-M, and have NEVER looked back (especially after i switched it to AHCI)

Soldato
I haz a Vertex 64gb for Windows and apps and the Sammie F3 for games and documents. Works great.

With the huge size of Windows these days 64gb is the smallest I would go for a boot drive so there's some elbow room there.

Soldato
I've got a kingston 40GB in my HTPC, plenty of room to spare and now it's almost completely silent (only fan is the 120mm in the PSU), as well as being many times faster dealing with my XBMC media database.

At some point i'll flash it to the Intel firmware for TRIM, but it's not particularly pressing.

Game load times really aren't that big a deal IMO and often the difference is really small between HDD and SSD.
Actually, on my 80GB X25-M, all my game load times better than halved compared to having them on my Samsung F1. That's a saving of 30-40 seconds in some cases.

Certainly, there are applications that benefit more, but I wouldn't say the difference is "really small"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom