Windows 7 Startup Loop

Soldato
I had a BSOD and now I can't get past the startup repair. It's worth noting i've had Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate running fine since it's retail release with no hiccups.

I've tried safe mode, repairing from the Windows 7 disk. I've put the drive in an external drive and everything still seems there. I've tried bootrec /fixmbr and /fixboot.

Any ideas on how to save my programs and settings before I reformat.

Soldato
OP
chkdsk finished with no problems.

Unfortunately I didn't take note of the BSOD.

This is annoying the hell outta me. All the files are there on the C: drive, no faults, no errors.

Yet I can't get to the desktop because Windows insists I have a startup problem. WTF!

I don't think a backup image will do any good as it will probably bring about the same darn problem.

Soldato
OP
Found this...

"The trouble is the Startup repair tool was written by a high school idiot. Instead of running and coming up without a recovery and stopping, it loops. How dumb is that? so the user flounders.

In the end in EACH case, the only solution for repair that I can find is flat reinstall. Wipe out and loose all."

LOL, typical.

Soldato
OP
Come to think of it Windows 7 did an update for IE (I don't even use the fully star out swearies thing!), but I just updated it anyway. The BSOD happened before I could restart and verify the update was successfully installed. That's the ONLY thing I can think of that might of caused this.

Soldato
I just had this exact same problem on my HTPC- Win 7 64-bit. I say had, it's still ongoing. Tried everything you mentioned and system restore, now testing the HDD but I think it'll pass. Startup repair found a corrupt file first time, now it finds no problems, but still insists on running at every boot. I can't get into windows, not even safe mode!

Maybe it was a dodgy update.

Soldato
OP
Now trying a Windows 7 upgrade from the CD. Apparently this should keep everything intact.

edit: Tried to upgrade, but it just told me I need to take the disc out, restart the computer and try it once Windows has started.

Perfect, thank you M$ for this piece of turd.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had the same problem after letting Windows 7 install it's own recommended (via automatic updates) Nvidia driver. I'd always used the Windows 7 Nvidia driver up to that point. BSOD after reboot, I ended up restoring from backup with the Windows 7 DVD. Oddly the next time I ran the update it worked flawlessly and has for 2 months now.

Soldato
Yeah my problem is almost identical, I think it's most likely the same thing.

I did try running sfc /scannow but got the same problem reported in the link. Can you just copy sfc.exe and run it off a bootable ms-dos disk or similar? If I could run sfc somehow it might save reinstalling.

Will an upgrade screw up the installed programs w.r.t settings and registry or not?

Soldato
Repair Install Walkthrough

Seems to do the trick, if you can get far enough through the installation process.

Sigh.

Looks like it'll be ok I guess. Only problem is, it says you must be logged onto windows to start a repair install...slight issue as I can't get into ******* windows!

The windows 7 boot disc does give an option to upgrade, but since the guide specifically states be logged on, I'm wondering if it's actually the same thing.

Soldato
OP
Oh, lightbulb.

I just ran bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No

Restarted and it came to the black screen stating the file idoxvtc.sys is corrupt or missing in the System32, drivers directory.

Will take out the OS drive, stick it in an external USB caddy and manually replace the file again. See if that works.

Soldato
bcedit will stop the loop, but if you have a problem like me (think theres a corrupt file somewhere) it won't help you boot. I don't want to remove my hard disk as it's a royal pain in the HTPC case to get out.

I just realised I might not have tried sfc /scannow from the windows 7 disc recovery console. Might be worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom