Process of elimination.

Caporegime
Hi everyone,

My PC sometimes takes more than one (several even) attempts to boot properly. At first I assumed this was down to an unstable overclock on my cpu. When it does eventually post, sometimes the cpu overclock will revert back to stock or will still remain overclocked, which is a bonus. So naturally I put this problem down to learning the art of overclocking but I am beginning to think I was wrong.

I've tried running my PC at stock (2.4) clocks for a few days to see what happens and the booting problem still occurs! So now it is starting to look like a separate issue, I wonder what it is?:confused: Motherboard, psu?

Any help or advice would be great. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
You tried re-seating the ram modules? Maybe blow any dust out of the slots. I once had a motherboard so sensitive to the positioning of the ram, that just nudging the ram module when working in the case could cause it to not post as if the ram wasn't there. A nudge or a little wiggle of the ram then it would post fine.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the replies. I'll try reseating the ram and see if that helps. I am thinking that this could be a mobo sensitivity since when I ever so gently press a lead into a port at the back it can result in it rebooting.

Somebody the other day also mentioned that the X48T boards don't do that well for clocking, this could all be starting to add up now.

I'll check the ram.

Associate
Mine does this as well i push the power button Boots for 2-3 secs then powers off
push the button again it does like 'chccks' lasts 10 seconds then it posts the boot up screen i Think its something todo with the overclock the board knows its overclocked and i personally think it's like some sort of safe boot to make sure the cpu is cool enough.. doesnt cause any problems so i just leave it.

Caporegime
OP
So far so good but it's too early to tell for sure. I've got the day off today so I'll get a chance to put it through its paces later. Almost certain that the mobo is 'temperamental' and therefore the root cause of this and potentially other problems. Thanks for all the help so far. :)

Caporegime
OP
I am sure its the motherboard and nothing else now.

Can these relatively minor problems lead to greater instability or is it just a case of put up with it or buy a new one?

Associate
I am sure its the motherboard and nothing else now.

Can these relatively minor problems lead to greater instability or is it just a case of put up with it or buy a new one?

Its hard to tell without knowing what exactly seems to be the common, root cause of these 'minor' problems. Best case scenario, it works out or at the very least doesn't deteriorate further, worst case its a foreshadowing of a more serious issue resulting in a refusal to boot at all one day.

Its the good old risk-to-cost decision. Furthermore, as its extremely unlikely to damage your other components (a refusal to boot is a result of a lack of something more often then a dangerous excess) unless you cant afford an unexpected need to replace one day, I say see where this leads.

- Shijeer

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
^^ Yeah, probably the best thing to do is to just sit tight and wait a while. Luckily a replacement mobo need not be mega bucks. Must check on my warranty now I come to think of it.

Back
Top Bottom