Thinking of moving Dell into a new case

Associate
I have a new Dell Inspiron 580 MT i5 750 i was thinking about moving into a new enclosure (i want more flexibility with cooling and power supplies). My one concern is the motherboard, which seems to be an intel board made for dell.

Mainboard Model 033FF6 (0x00000158 - 0x004332C0)

Does anyone know if i need to be worried about this fitting and working?

Associate
OP
I've move many a mothoerboard to a new case so it's not an issue. However, if it's a new PC (which it is), you'll invalidate any warranty you have with Dell.. Just so you know.

Would they have a way of telling if I kept all the stock kit and put it back into the stock case if there was an issue?

Also, I was reading that dell may use proprietary connecters for the LEDS and power switches, any insight?

Soldato
on the dell i had, that i moved to a new case, they did indeed use propriety connector jobby. Well, no so propriety, more like an unlabeled set of pins, in a random order. Trial and error for the power button and then job done :)

There are sometimes guides on the net for specific boards, if someone else has already done all the trial and error bit.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Be aware that sometimes dell use custom shaper motherboards and PSUs so not always an easy job.

Get the dell, look at the mobo and compare it to the ATX standard to make sure the holes are in the right place.

Associate
Main thing to check is that the mounting holes are in the right place (or at least that enough of them are in the right place) and that the PSU connector is standard 24 or 24+4 pin. I'm pretty sure that Dell uses standard PSU connectors and voltages these days, but it used to be a real nightmare. If you're in any doubt, take some photos and we'll have a look.

Back
Top Bottom