Microsoft .NET Framework 4

Soldato
Thanks for the news. Is this the one that means that previous .NET builds aren't needed all together? As in no need to have .net 2, .net 3 and .net 3.5 installed at the same time.

Soldato
Thanks for the news. Is this the one that means that previous .NET builds aren't needed all together? As in no need to have .net 2, .net 3 and .net 3.5 installed at the same time.

There are no previous .net requirements in the listed system requirements, and I've just installed it on a fresh Windows 7 Pro VM without it mithering for anything else so I assume this is the case. Which is good.

Soldato

i have an application targeted at net 2.0 and i tried it on a fresh XP SP3 install with just net 4 installed and it wouldn't work. :(

net2.png

Soldato
.NET 2/3/3.5 were lumped together. You could simply install .NET 3.5 SP1 and get all the previous releases right down to 2.0, automagically. But people didn't like that. So Microsoft changed it in 4.0 so that this version starts off a new "branch" in effect.

Long and short of it is. On a fresh PC, you'll want to install both .NET 3.5 SP1 and .NET 4.0. In order to run any .NET 2/3/3.5/4.0 applications.

It's a darn sight better than Java's release schedule. Every other week there is a new release out with bug fixes, which installs itself into a separate folder on your PC!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
And lists each update in Add/Remove Programs!

Strangely I cannot find .NET 3.5 SP1 or any other .NET listed in Windows Updates or Add/Remove Programs - even though I know it's installed!

Probably hidden away after the last few Windows Updates or something?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom