• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help with Graphics Card Upgrade Please

Associate
Long story short, hav'nt built a PC for a few years now and am having to do things on a budget nowdays :rolleyes:. Looking to upgrade my PC, but am having to do it bit by bit, rather than all at once as i used to :(. My current specs are as follows;

Asus P5N-E SLI
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 2666 MHz
4096 MB Corsair DDR2
nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
BenQ G2420HD and Hannstar HW191D Monitors

not very impressive by todays standard, but was ok for me way back when :)

I've decided to start with the Graphics Card for now, hence this forum, and have been looking and reading a little and have come up with the following options, unless anyone has better advice.
My Budget is +-£150.

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [21163-00-20R]
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [11163-00-20R]
Palit GeForce GTX 260 Sonic 896MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card [NE3X262SFT394-PM8026]

I dont game as much as i used to but play every now and then Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Aion, Borderland, Bioshock, and always try to run at my monitors recommended resolution of 1920 x 1080, but PC is fiding it more and more of a struggle. PC is used everyday.

Im leaning more towards the Radeons as they seem to provide more bang for my buck as far as my budget goes. Will i find a significant increase with these over my ageing 8800? will a new card be enough of an improvement for me?

Many thanks in advance for any help with this :D

Soldato
Although the 8800GTX is getting old, I think your CPU at stock speed is holding it back a bit. If I were you I would try overclocking the CPU to 3.0GHz-3.2GHz first, and then decide what to do next.

Upgrading to 5770 wouldn't gain you as much performance as you think (if any at all) with the E6750 stucked at 2.66GHz...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply guys, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've always fancied trying to Overclock, but always been a bit nervous to. Ill do a bit of reading in these forums and see what i can come up with. Im using the stock cooler with the cpu so guess that will be the first thing i will have to look out.

Thanks Again

Soldato
Yeah you need to overclock but that motherboard is not a great clocker. It doesn't do too bad with dual cores though....back in the day, managed 3.3ghz out of my old E6300.

Tbh I recommend you see if you can find a second hand 4890 (or new, but they're slowly fading away), but make sure your PSU is up to it.

Back
Top Bottom