Uni decision - stuck :(

Soldato
Basically I have two Uni offers which I am struggling to decide between.

University of Kent
Computer Science (including industrial year)

University of Surrey
Computing and Information Technology (including industrial year)

The offers for each uni are exactly the same, and I will have no trouble achieving the grades.

I'm not yet sure exactly what area of computing I wish to pursue in a career, however it will be something technical.

The reason I didn't apply for Computer Science at Surrey was they require A Level Maths, which I don't have. Only GCSE. The Computing and Information Technology course swaps out some of the heavy maths modules for business modules.

Surrey offer more in terms of money, £1000 scholarship if I get a BTEC DDD grade (which is more than achievable, basically there now) and this also doubles the amount of means-tested bursary I can receive (up to £4,000). This does seem like a major plus but I'm not sure if the course at Kent being pure Computer Science would be more beneficial.

Thanks for any help!

Soldato
If you haven't done A-Level maths, I doubt you'd excel at a computer science degree. I go for the other course. I don't know anything about either of the institutions though.

Associate
If you haven't done A-Level maths, I doubt you'd excel at a computer science degree. I go for the other course. I don't know anything about either of the institutions though.

I did a degree in mechanical engineering with only an As level in Maths. Admittedly, I had to complete a foundation course before I could start the degree in order to brush up on my maths skills.

Associate
The Computer Science course at Kent should ease you into the Maths, when I did it we had two courses in the first year covering most of the maths that you would need in to do the rest of the course. But to be honest I did A-Level Maths as well so it wasn't difficult at all for me, but the courses are given there at least, they also do offer at least one business module in the first year if that is what you are after.

Associate
dont beleive the hype that you will struggle to do computer science if you havent done a level maths.

A friend of mine who got into mechanical engineering hadnt done maths at A level, we were both in a foundation course at loughborough ( i had done a level maths) which was basically A level and a little further and he managed just fine, just gotta be prepared to work, and after all , theres plenty of help if you want it just got to ask for it if you get stuck!

Anyway dont let that put you off.

Caporegime
The math in a 1st year comp sci degree is elementary.

Sheesh, they spent an hour explaining AND OR and NOT.

So that gives you a good year to brush up on your maths before you get to the 2nd year.

Associate
Why are people going on about the maths so much? I only did maths to GCSE and i've never had a problem in comp science, im on track for a first but going into final year so it may all change

*CIT seems like quite a devalued degree to me so i'd go for comp science but you know what you want better. Why not check each uni's website for a breakdown on the modules involved and see which tickles you from behind more

Associate
I only had a GCSE in maths and am in my final year Comp Sci at Bristol.

Did a foundation course in maths and didn't find any of the maths modules particularly hard.

Don't let that put you off - Comp Sci at Kent is the better degree IMO and a year in industry is so useful (wish id done one!)

Hitman
Soldato
This is something worth thinking about. (Although probably not worth changing mind because of) The ratio at my uni is significantly poor, leaves me wanting to go back home quite often :confused:

I was going to comment on not bother coming here (Staffs Uni) then and noticed you did it for me already ;)

We've only had one module that's Maths oriented and I'm just finishing my 2nd year now.

Soldato
OP
My maths isn't brilliant but as said they work with you to bring everyone's maths up to a good level in the first year. I'm sure I'll be fine if I put the effort in.

Soldato
I'm surprised any 'scientific' degree can be done without A-Level maths. That includes geography, all favours of engineering, computer science etc. A decent grasp of A-Level maths should be a pre-requisite for any kind of quantitative degree. I know many courses do accept people without it, but I don't think they should.

Back
Top Bottom