Sky connect slow

Associate
Just got sky connect (8mb) up and running and i'm a bit concerned about the speeds i'm getting...

I pinged www.bbc.co.uk as well to get packet loss stats:

Ping statistics for 212.58.244.142:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 97, Lost = 3 (3% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 79ms, Average = 51ms

74924529.gif

45861533.gif

Is this normal or will it improve? If it's normal is there anything I can do about it? We've just signed up for a TV/phone/BB package with sky.

Associate
OP
First time using ADSL, was previously on 20mbit VM cable

edit: I should point out that it was only turned on today and that it's still doing its learning thing... 1mbit seems to be extremely low as a starting point though, which is why i'm posting.

Last edited:
Associate
Some kind of 30 day money back system in place? Ring sky and find out? If you can get Be/O2 you will get around 16-18meg through that line with a decent upload. Meaning it will possibly be better than your cable line.

Associate
What type of speeds were you getting before could be a copper line fault
Well spotted. That's why he's got the full 8 meg sync.

DigitalReaper,
Based upon the timestamp of your speed test, the problem is likely down to subscribing to an ISP reselling the BT Wholesale IPStream product. There have been a number of recent threads with people getting poor throughput due to the dynamic line management process adjusting IP Profiles, but in your case it is probably down to traffic shaping alone. That and the fact speedtest.net isn't the best place to test your connection.

Associate
OP
Right, i've just requested my MAC code. Even at this time of the day the speed is abysmal, last night even sites with a lot of bandwidth behind them (e.g. google) were timing out :(

Going to go with BE unlimited, unless I would be better off with one of the O2 packages? 40GB just isn't enough anyway, 3 users on the line 2 of which are reasonably heavy ones.

edit: I'm supprised they can still sell connections like this ("fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality" comes to mind)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom