• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A paradox!

Associate
Well i'm in alittle bit of a pickel i recently upgraded my CPU from a E5200 @ 3.6Ghz to a Core i7 930 @ 4Ghz.. the problem is my Gpu is being battered the fan speed is at 100% on some games i have good case cooling.

I don't like the lag induced Vsync rubbish for FPS but when your hitting nearly 300 FPS on bioshock 2 and left for dead @ 300FPS the fans an be deafening and more worryingly the fact the fans are on 100% (they never went over 60% with the e5200 cpu.

Question is there a Good program that will limit my FPS in most games? anyone have exp using one

(MW2 is ok its limited to 90FPS but i often see it creeping over the 100 mark)

Any thoughts? other then selling my 4870x2 and buying a 5870.

Associate
has to be the first , someone wanting to limit their fps. Try using something like riva tunner to limit your fan speed which is worrying you. Could just be a duff driver defaulting your fan to 100% when not needed.

Associate
OP
I don't really have a problem with it running at 100% just it's rather worrying when i'm playing games for hours on end esp on WOW doing arena last thing i want is a crash during that every game i loose i have to win 10 matches to gain the rating back ><

I read about FPS Limiter 0.2 i know the GPU load won't go down but i think at 300FPS it's more the Ram that's taking a beating - Anyone had a findle with this program before?.

Caporegime
Are you sure its the GPU fan speeding up, are you using the stock intel cooler with your new gpu, are you sure its not that speeding up?

Either way, download, a whole host of programs, gpu-z, afternburner from MSI, check the temps of the gpu. Maybe they are bad, maybe not, maybe its just got clogged up with dust and so its getting progressively hotter.

Vsync would reduce the gpu load and reduce temps, I can see the difference easily where without vsync Lotro will run at 200fps and gpu load on gpu-z/afterburner is at 99%, with vsync on I get shockingly, 60fps and gpu load is down around 45% and my temps and power usage drop aswell.

Really you want to try something like overdrive, or whatever its called, that comes with rivatuner to try and force games to use triple buffering with vsync on. The option in the catalyst is for opengl ONLY, there is not official triple buffering in the DX spec so it can't be forced by drivers(and get approved drivers), but a few apps out there will try and force triple buffering in dx anyway and most games work. This stops you being stuck at either 60/45/30/15 fps you get with normal vsync, and pretty much illiminates the "lag" from vsync.

Theres also the other option, change the cooling on the 4870x2, or as you said upgrade the card to a single 58xx series gpu.

The cheap option I used on the 4870x2 to shut it up is simple, take the sink off, remove the shroud, stick the sink back on without the shroud, ziptie any 120mm fan onto the sink and use something to control the fan speed.

Mine would spin up pretty fast under heavy load with 80C + temps in middle of summer. a £5 120mm zalman fan and temps would never get over 55C at load and I ran the fan off a controller at 5-7v so I could barely hear it.

Associate
OP
CPU has a H50 max temps 65C under 100% load it's the 4870x2 it was allways a hot running card if im honest it was happy to idle at 80C even with the old CPU it's an XFX and not overclocked Guess i could sell it on and get a 5870 altho i was intending to buy 3 5890's when there launched :( ...

Soldato
IF the issue is really fanspeed being to high, what you should do is not look for something that limited your fps, but program such as MSI Afterburner to set your own fanspeed profile to make your fan run at the speed you want (as long as the card doesn't get too hot).

Associate
IF the issue is really fanspeed being to high, what you should do is not look for something that limited your fps, but program such as MSI Afterburner to set your own fanspeed profile to make your fan run at the speed you want (as long as the card doesn't get too hot).

+1
I guess the cpu or the system is hotter now than it was cpu or lack of snow from a few months ago and so ur card slightly higher and some senor is tripping on your gpu under load causeing to to go 100%

Soldato
Grab one of these:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=244

A friend of mine has one of these hooked up to his 4870x2 and his temps nearly halved and he reckons its basically silent/quiet running with fans at 100%. The stock cooler on a 4870X2 is like a leaf blower and if you look at the fins they are tiny, basically its not got a great cooler.

My temps dropped by a good 15c at idle and load when I reseated the stock cooler with some decent TIM.

Last edited:
Associate
Question is there a Good program that will limit my FPS in most games? anyone have exp using one

Catalyst control center. Lower your clocks.

Or better still, do it with riva tuner and then profile your fan speed down accordingly.

After swapping my e5200 for a q6600, my 5850 gets more pummelling in games using all 4 cores (left for dead, dragon age etc). Thinking of forgoing its warranty, as I miss my old fully watercooled quiet system.

Back
Top Bottom