questions about Corsair 800D

Associate
Been looking around for a new case for my next build.brought it down to 4.Lian Li PC71A,Corsair800D,Silverstone Temjin TJ07 and the Silverstone Raven RV01.

Wanting to know if i should go with the 800 with what kind of fans i need to replace the original ones,keeping in mind i want it cool inside but also quiet?Do i really need fans on top,there where is place for a rad?

And wich things i need if i'm planning on going watercooling.Mind you,i've NO knowledge about this at ALL,so if someone could recommend me some items you have my eternal gratitude :D.I do plan on overclock in the long run :)

Oh yes:Does the 800 really lives up to the hype????

Last edited:
Associate
the 800D is a very good case, you dont particularly need fans at the top although id put some in if i were you, replace the stock 140mm fans too as although they are quiet they dont move much air. you might also be better off changing the back fan around to intake air

Soldato
The main problem with the 800D is getting room temp air into the mobo compartment. A common mod to alleviate this is to put a fan in the side panel. If you look around there are a few examples of this.

When I get a 700D later I plan to do something along these lines, although I did also have an idea about using the small grill at the back of the case which is just below the pci slots. I think this could be used as an intake if you make a box out of perpex and put say 2 fans horizontally mounted in the box, and put the box on top of the bottom shelf with a side hole in the box designed to draw air through this grill. A bit of velcro to keep it in place and jobs a good un. You could put a filter on the intake with this setup. Possibly could dremel this intake a bit larger as well.

C64

C64

Soldato
The main problem with the 800D is getting room temp air into the mobo compartment. A common mod to alleviate this is to put a fan in the side panel. If you look around there are a few examples of this.

When I get a 700D later I plan to do something along these lines, although I did also have an idea about using the small grill at the back of the case which is just below the pci slots. I think this could be used as an intake if you make a box out of perpex and put say 2 fans horizontally mounted in the box, and put the box on top of the bottom shelf with a side hole in the box designed to draw air through this grill. A bit of velcro to keep it in place and jobs a good un. You could put a filter on the intake with this setup. Possibly could dremel this intake a bit larger as well.

why not just put a kama bay in the 5.25 bay ?

Soldato
Silverstone Temjin TJ07, Silverstone Raven RV01
RV01 has cramped over complex insides.
Going from the PC-B70 to the Raven, I GAINED(!!!) about 7 to 10* Celcius on my CPU temps using the same TRUE 120 + 2x Noctua push/pull setup. Perhaps most annoying was that the temps rose about 4-5*C with the side panel on
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034567466&postcount=1
And really no place for reasonable sized radiator.

TJ07 could be said to be on the opposite end because its bottom chamber could take even some quad radiators with minimal modding.
But for air cooling it just doesn't make sense, most cooling power is in entirely wrong chamber with small airflow short circuit for chamber with most of the heat production.

Corsair 800D (sounds like Canon's DSLR...) again is more optimized for water cooling with unnecessarily complex airflow layout and lot of unutilized space with air cooling.

Lian Li A71FB is clearly best balanced for lot of space for various devices with effective air cooling (cooling layout same as in that PC-B70) and water cooling can be added easily by changing top panel but at the price of three (of ten) HDD bays in top cage and couple 5.25" bays.

Caporegime
Lian Li A71FB is clearly best balanced for lot of space for various devices with effective air cooling (cooling layout same as in that PC-B70) and water cooling can be added easily by changing top panel but at the price of three (of ten) HDD bays in top cage and couple 5.25" bays.
Yep, iwhen looking at radiators to fit in the top i discovered this as well, im intending to fit a thermochill pa 120.3, dimensions are 405x129x60mm, ill have to drop my fan controller and optical drive down a few bays.

IMG_1483.jpg

And remove the rear hdd cage.
IMG_1482.jpg

Associate
I put three apaches in the top, the front two blowing in, the rear out, I put another just above the bottom dust filter blowing up and another in a Kama bay in the front.

The three 140's have been replaced by Xigamatech 140's, with a Megahalem Shadow with two Apaches on it my i7 930 @4.2 ran 24 hours of prime with a max core temp of 69, the lowest was around 62.

The cpu fans and one of the top intake fans are pwm monitored from the motherboard, the two exhausts and the disk drives are controled by the motherboard and the other four are controlled via a Scythe Server fan controller. Its all surprisingly quiet.

I think the 800D is very effective for air cooling, I saw the tip about the front two top fans being intake from a posting by a Corsair rep.

Very pleased with this and think its one of the best cases I've had for cooling. I don't think its necessary to cut the case to put a fan in the side.

Regards
Fred

Back
Top Bottom