• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia misses OpenGL 4.0 promises

Soldato
Well, it's not like nVidia have ever kept to something resembling a half decent driver release schedule. It seems to be "when we can be bothered".

I remember a link a couple of years back where someone from nVidia said they were working hard to get monthly driver updates. I wonder what happened there? :/

Soldato
Well, it's not like nVidia have ever kept to something resembling a half decent driver release schedule. It seems to be "when we can be bothered".

I remember a link a couple of years back where someone from nVidia said they were working hard to get monthly driver updates. I wonder what happened there? :/

coincidently, they have released new drivers today lol

Man of Honour
I'm not a fan of regular driver updates just for the sake of it. So far nVidia has always had a new driver out when theres been a need for one.

Soldato
I'm not a fan of regular driver updates just for the sake of it. So far nVidia has always had a new driver out when theres been a need for one.

Everytime a new game or program is released can create problems with a current driver release. Due to this, a very regular stream of drivers is much prefered to an unspecified timeframe (which at the moment is over 4 weeks per set)

Man of Honour
On a plus note - the new drivers out today seem really good. Heaven is smoother and around 7% higher fps in SLI mode, crysis has both IQ and AA bug fixes (performance unchanged), Farcry 2 has SLI bug fixes, slight better fps and runs smoother, MW2 runs smoother too. So far seen none of the stalling issues and memory leaks that plagued 195/196 drivers.

Soldato
coincidently, they have released new drivers today lol

I didn't say they never released drivers, just that they seem to have an attitude of "don't really care".

Seems like you and me differ there. No offence intended, but from what you say on these forums, I can see why you prefer nVidia. :)

Soldato
I didn't say they never released drivers, just that they seem to have an attitude of "don't really care".

How can you say they have an attitude like that when they have extensive stable support for other platforms. (example = linux)

ATI only push out 1 WHQL driver a month due to spending a vast amount of cash on expanding their driver team since the 9700 pro driver debacle.

Soldato
How can you say they have an attitude like that when they have extensive stable support for other platforms. (example = linux)

Because they don't have a consistent driver release schedule?

And I don't know if you've noticed, but Windows is the leading PC gaming operating system - i'd rather have consistent releases than support for an OS which you can barely game on.

ATI only push out 1 WHQL driver a month due to spending a vast amount of cash on expanding their driver team since the 9700 pro driver debacle.

Which is the way it should be - or would you rather they just ignored what happened back then altogether?

Man of Honour
Pushing out 1 WHQL driver a month is just a pointless expenditure of resources, better off focusing it on when you need releases. Or would you be happier if nVidia just repackaged their drivers every month with a new version and some minimal changes?

Soldato
Pushing out 1 WHQL driver a month is just a pointless expenditure of resources, better off focusing it on when you need releases. Or would you be happier if nVidia just repackaged their drivers every month with a new version and some minimal changes?

It is always needed as there are always bugs to be addressed as there is no such thing as a perfect driver.
And i like to know when something is likely to be fixed than the up in the air whenever.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd rather have fixes out when they are ready than rushed out to meet some artifical deadline.

That would mean even more releases ;) & that would clash with the perfect driver syndrome again as there is always fixes to be made & when do you stop & release what is ready... nope nope just one more then we will release it,...nope nope just one more...ect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because they don't have a consistent driver release schedule?

And I don't know if you've noticed, but Windows is the leading PC gaming operating system - i'd rather have consistent releases than support for an OS which you can barely game on.

And amazingly Nvidia is a global company worth an exremely large figure in monitary value. Due to this, why not both?

As for Rroff, you do realise that the new drivers are the rushed out gtx 400 set with a different ini file right? Aka rushed out to try and salvage some of the debacle that was the 470/480 launch.

Soldato
with ATI you get quite a few improvements or a new feature and they break something

So yeah i perfer "some" to none at all

True but then you have on average 3/4 sets to choose from all with pros and cons. As long as you don't regularly dip into very old titles you usually won't experience that many problems.

Only exception to this rule is truly poorly coded games like BFBC2 which basically force you to get a driver set just for that game to play it to the same level graphics wise (aka playable, vsync and AA working in dx11) as every other game out lol.

Back
Top Bottom