Sold car....unhappy buyer....advice?

Caporegime
he paid cash and afaik paypal wont get involved with car sales

tell him to **** off and let him leave negative feedback. Its the worst he can do as far as im aware. Anybody know any better ?

certainly outside of ebay its sold as seen. Your not a trader and he has no right to ask for a refund. He responded to a classified add and paid cash. Who cares if he doesnt think its fit for purpose, he should have checked that when he test drove it.

afaik ebay is no different to this.

Permabanned
As a private individual selling a car, and no reputation to maintain, I'd tell him to get ****ed personally.

If you claim the gearbox left as its always been it could just be a garage trying to take advantage of the new buyer.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
In future get the buyer to sign a sold as seen notice and keep for your records to stop this from happening again.

But I still wouldn't give him anything. Say you will take the car back pending an examination on condition. (i.e its the same as when you sold it) Then simply sell the car on ebay again, even if it hits less money you will still have lost less than paying for his supposed gearbox issue.

Soldato
If I was the buyer and this sort of thing happened, I'd be blaming myself for not testing enough. I would assume I'd have to pay for it, as it's not a trade sale.

As a seller, he inspected the car etc and was obviously happy enough to pay. It's out of your hands.

Caporegime
i think the key thing to point out is if you buy an item over ebay - say a keyboard and its not as described the buyer can file a dispute, and paypal can take the money from you to refund the purchaser if they side with the buyer.

This process doesnt happen with car sales afaik. Theres a bit somewhere saying that ebay and paypals usual complaints procedure doesnt apply. Just trying to find a link now to confirm for you.

Caporegime
Thanks but doesn't apply in this case - Paypal wasn't used, was cash in hand. (Unless you mean that Paypal can blag my money when not used for a transaction, eek! :eek:)

presumably you have your paypal account registered with ebay which in turn is registered with your bank account

i know my ebay fees just come straight out of my bank

But they wont do a paypal chargeback even if he did pay via paypal as they dont get involved in motors sales afaik.

But as you rightly say, since he paid cash theres no actual proof of how much he paid, so they doubly wont get involved.

Associate
Bad luck on him not test driving the car before the auction ended. Anyway even if he test drove after the auction and wasnt happy with the noise of the gearbox, its still tough luck he won the auction... should have come and test drove it before the auction.

Tell him to Foff and there was nothing wrong with the gearbox when it left your hands.

Describe this person who bought this car off you... How long after did you sell the car when he complain about the car

Back
Top Bottom