How to Mount a Direct Contact Heatpipe cooler [Titan Fenrir]

Soldato
Strange that some people seem to be panicking. If it doesn't work first time, retry or attempt another method.

Sure some coolers may be faulty (any product could be), but no need to do the "I'll never buy a Direct Contact cooler!!!!1111.

Be patient when applying and try to enjoy it :)

Soldato

This is the way I have been mounting direct pipe coolers and never had a temp issue (have used a number of Titans) on AM3 builds with good results.

The amount of thermal paste OCUK are suggesting is crazy...

Thermal Paste Application Methods:

1. (Lapped CPU & Heatsink): Less is more.. if you have a totally flat join then you should apply paste to both the CPU and Heatsink and then remove as much as possible. On my old TRUE / Q6600 set-up the lapping was "dulled" from where the paste had filled the small gaps.. Be warned with this method you must be sure that you Lapping is flat! so always check temps straight away on boot

2. (Normal CPU & Lapped Heatsink): Apply paste to the CPU level and remove as much as possible with a credit card or something similar..

3. (Normal CPU & Direct Pipe Cooler): Apply paste to the Heatsink and level with credit card, do the same for the CPU.. only enough to ensure you have even and level coverage of both..

4. (Lapped CPU & Direct Pipe Cooler): Dull the CPU with paste and then apply paste to the Cooler as in number 3.

Ensuring you have the correct application of thermal paste is only step 1 of a two step process... you must ensure that you have an even pressured mounting of the heatsink onto the CPU.. always mount a heatsink on the motherboard outside of the case.. tighten screws in a cross i.e.

A B

C D

Tighten A & D then B & C

Tighten only a little at once so do a little on A then D then the same on B then C..

Associate
Be patient when applying and try to enjoy it :)

Could not agree more !! (Although it does get a bit frustrating when your on your 3rd or 4th attempt of the day ;))

Finally got about to re-fitting mine . Cannot do any comparison as when I re-fiited I changed cpu from Q9550 to Q9650. & the volts needed for the new chip are a fair bit less.
Have been using Artic silvers but decided to give mx-2 a go..... NOT for me, could not get it to spread etc:( so ... back to the tried and trusted Arctic Silvers:)

Tried the 'fill in gaps' on cooler , followed by very thin spread over cpu. Am certainly happy with the results @3.6 29c idle 42c load
and at 4.05 (1.1825v) 32c idle 52c load.
Load is 30mins of Prime.

And with a bit of luck in a few months it'll drop a little further when the paste fully cures.:D

Last edited:
Permabanned
have just fitted the titan fenrir using mx2 (filled gaps on the fenrir and applied thin layer to the cpu) to my phenom 2 940be which resulted in very low temps

only 14c hotter core than room temp at idle

at room temp 22c the idle core temp is at 36c and under 100% load with everest stability test 49c

northbridge full load temp 35c
southbridge fulll load temp 33c

overclocked to 3.2ghz at stock core voltage

using 2 120mm fans push pull on the titan fenrir

read this review the titan fenrir outperforms all other air coolers
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/05/17/titan-fenrir-ttcnk85tz-cou-cooler/4

cpu phenom 2 940BE
motherboard biostar ta70gx 128mb
psu OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w
Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4890

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys quick question, I am fitting the fenrir again, however this time i picked up some artic silver.

I dabbed a very small amount, and it didnt even make it to windows. I have just checked and it didnt even spread it out over the core when I pushed it down.

That got me thinking...the washers im using the white am2 washers is this correct also for the am3 mobos and cpus? I assumed it was - but I just wanted to check quickly.

Next step if washers are correct is more artic silver!

Associate
have just fitted the titan fenrir using mx2 (filled gaps on the fenrir and applied thin layer to the cpu) to my phenom 2 940be which resulted in very low temps

only 14c hotter core than room temp at idle

at room temp 22c the idle core temp is at 36c and under 100% load with everest stability test 49c

northbridge full load temp 35c
southbridge fulll load temp 33c

overclocked to 3.2ghz at stock core voltage

using 2 120mm fans push pull on the titan fenrir

read this review the titan fenrir outperforms all other air coolers
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/05/17/titan-fenrir-ttcnk85tz-cou-cooler/4

cpu phenom 2 940BE
motherboard biostar ta70gx 128mb
psu OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w
Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4890

How did you add two fans on your titan fenrir?

Soldato
Ordered the Fenrir last Thursday and I fitted it over the weekend. Pretty easy to fit although more complex than your standard Intel Stock coolers, I actually prefer it because I really dislike those cheap plastic turn and push pins.

Just using the one fan at the moment and I'm doing about 29/30c idle and around 59/60c load (Q6600 @ 3.2ghz). It has only been a few days so I am waiting for my Arctic Silver to bed in before getting realistic temps, it isn't going to do much better.
The extra thermal paste is also useful and needed as there are tiny gaps where the copper meets the cooler material where it touches the CPU.

The fan gets quite noisy on full blast although its very quiet on low. I don't really know if it's worth having two for a few centigrade cooler really...I'd be interested to know how it's done though!

Associate
When i first built my i5 system i was worried incase i used to little paste ( i was idleing at 29c-35c) so i took it off, cleaned it and put abit more on and the temps rised :( all cores idled around 40-43c. Got it fixed now, i used another paste

Associate
I just fitted a titan fenrir today and my idle temps are 27 34 31 27. Pretty much the same as they were with the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro I was using previously.

I'm running a Q6600 G0 @ 3Ghz on a P5Q Deluxe. After reading this thread it kinda has me thinking that I could get lower temps.

rjkoneill says in the first post to fasten the mounting screws as much as possible. I'm kinda worried that I could damage something if I screw them in too tight, can anyone confirm whether its possible to over-tighten them and cause any damage?

Also I used the credit card method to spread a thin layer of AS5 directly to the cpu. Would it be worth starting again and applying some to the bottom of the cooler also?

Thanks.

Associate
How did you add two fans on your titan fenrir?

I'm just guessing, but as it's an AMD system in question, it would be possible to simply sit a second 120mm fan on the top of the Fenrir, without actually having to fix it in place.

Just installed mine today, as my Corsair H50 is being RMA'd due to a dodgy pump - it clicks, and has been slowly driving me insane. The Corsair (with a working pump) is slightly cooler (a couple of degrees) with a very similar noise level to the Fenrir on low. With higher fan speeds, the Fenrir beats the H50 by a few degrees, but it's significantly louder.

For with the Titan £22 cheaper and leak-free, it'll probably be the one I keep. The H50 is likely going to be relegated to another machine when it comes back.

Back
Top Bottom