Quick Spec Check on a I7 15" Macbook Pro. Apple Virgin Here :)

Associate
Hey Dudes,

So I been waiting on the new Macbook Pros and wanna place an order, hopefully tonight if the Telesales department is still open.

So Im planning to get the following from the HE store:

I7 2.66ghz Macbook Pro
500Gb 7200 RPM HDD (Will I notice a big difference in speed with this? and is it worthwhile if I plan on upgrading to an SSD in the next 6months?)
4GB Ram (Do I need 8gb?)
Upgraded High Res Glossy Screen. (Whats Better? Glossy or Antiglare?)
Magic Mouse and the wireless keyboard :)
Applecare

Total: £1789.53

I plan to use this for:

Web and Email
Office
Some Photoshop
Eve Online
Watching Movies etc
Dual boot W7, office applications and some games

THanks in advance

Soldato
No, high capacity 5400rpm drives are fine these days.

No, if you have money to burn I guess you could justify it for running Win7 with 4GB of its own in a virtual machine inside OS X.

Glossy is crisper but visible reflections and glare can annoy. Personal preference.

Permabanned
Yeah, I have just switched. Run Windows 7 with parallels. I have Win 7 running on 1 of my virtual desktops in spaces. I have been blown away with how well it runs!! The only reason to dual boot would be games I suppose.

Soldato
If you can afford it, SSD makes a lot of difference. Best investment I have made in my MP so well worth it if you can.

If you go from 5400 -> 7200 battery life would be affected but with an SSD I would have thought battery life might improve slightly?

Glossy gives a richer colour than the bright but it really depends on the user. Definitely go in an Apple store and look at both. I prefer glossy over matte but as wush said, it's down to the user.

4GB ram should be fine for waht you have mentioned :) I'd invest in an SSD over more ram!

Regarding Windows7, you can install it as a Virtual Machine and Bootcamp. It means if you want to run a quick Windows task you can start up the VM within OSX but for more laborious tasks you can reboot into Windows. You can also install things in the VM and they will appear in the Bootcamp as they are the same install :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Awesome guys, thanks for all the advice, I think i will go with the glossy screen and stick to the 4gb for now :)

Now I need to look at SSD, I have one of the Intels in my home PC and thats great. Although since it will be the main HDD in this one, I may have to look at getting a larger one.... Might have to wait a while so mrs doesnt see the massive outlay :)

Soldato
Looks good:) Don't see the need for upgrades with your uses, you could go for the i5 if you want to save a bit...

Bear in mind that the matt screen bezel looks horrible. It's a silver surround, and just looks like the glossy bezel has fallen off.

mattdisplayappleunibody.jpg

Soldato
Didn't realise they had a different bezel! Doesn't look as good!

Regarding the SSD's or any other upgrade for that matter, look elsewhere as Apple normally charge a premium for fitting extras themselves!

The Crucial M225 is a good SSD last time I looked (one I currently have) for bang/buck but that might have changed to take a wander into the Hard Drive section on here!

Soldato
What SSDs are they sticking in the new MBPs? I went to the store for a laugh to see how much they were charging and for a 128GB SSD the price increase was £160, which is remarkably cheap. Almost too cheap....

Associate
OP
through HE store its only £136 for the 128GB, I'm sortta thinking about maybe just going down that route as it seems very cheap, although Im a bit worried that 128 aint enough :( Especially if I want to dual boot later.

Would be awesome if these could handle 2 drives, they would really rock then

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice guys, on the last page of the order process, Estimated shipping date of 22nd April (next Thursday) :(

Anyone have any idea of how likely say the store in Regent St would have a configured I7 15" with 500gb 7200 rpm, and high res glossy screen? Cause I might get it quicker if I go and pick it up from them??

Spoke to them today (work opposite them), and they said they should have them in the next few days :)

wij

wij

Associate
Don't buy an SSD from Apple, they're rubbish. Stick a decent one in instead.

Got any particular advice there Feek?

I'm going to order my new 15" MBP next week and want to go for an SSD.

Apple's pricing seems to be fairly decent (for once) for the upgrade to a 128Gb drive, given that the current price for Intel X25-M's is almost double what they want!

Associate
OP
I finally ordered my first Mac, just to let you guys know I did it over the phone and got an Epsom 515 Printer, which although is not listed on the website is available over the phone if you ask.

Best thing is that with the rebate the printer will only cost you £30 :)

The sales guy that I dealt with was awesome so if anyone wants, i can forward his details on to you :)

Feek I would also be interested in your recommendation on an SSD mate, just like wij.

Thanks all for the help.....

Once i get it towards the end of April I'll have loads more questions

Back
Top Bottom