• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Whats the best Cpu benchmarking utils?

Soldato
Ok i will be testing my new Q9400 cpu soon, even though i cant get my Pc2-800 ram working at fully.. i will try a few diff settings. So whats the best bench mark tools these days?

Is it still super PI .... Sandra? what version? pc mark? and also whats the best temp monitoring util? cos my version of Sandra tells me my cpu was at 39c whilst my bios and Asus probe 2 tells me im @ 28c...im hoping the latter is correct. I would like to see all four core temps. and lastly does anyone have any guides or good sites about 1:1 ratio overclocking.. cheers. :D

Associate
I am not sure about your motherboard but in my Bios it tells me the temperature of the CPU heat spreader. Apparently there are sensors within the cores and a sensor between all the cores, my bios gives me the latter temperature which is about 7c cooler than the coretemp.

Personally I use CoreTemp to monitor my CPU temperature.

Soldato
OP
Thanks ive just installed coreTemp and its showing core 1 @ 39c and the other 3 cores @ 36/35c. Is this bad for a Quad core Q9400? does anyone know?

coretemp.jpg

Associate
That looks a little high, however...

Run orthos and see how long it takes for the temperatures to rise, on my 45nm chip the sensors are stuck at a relatively high 39c and only rise once this temperature is reached.

Associate
Is it still super PI

Super PI isn't the best benchmark to use as a general performance benchmark, its great for comparing chips of similar architecture but not when comparing different ones as it results in misleading results.

I used to use SupCom to benchmark my cpu (graphics on min, low res), helped to see what performance gains I was getting as I overclocked. Also it crashed easy if the overclock wasn't stable, which was a good quick way to tell I needed to up the volts a little.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info, my cooler is a Tuniq tower 120, its an immese beast and it did a great job on my E6600 so it shouldnt struggle.

I am running its fan on a low setting, and i had an awfull job puttin it on the Q9400 maybes i will redo it if load temps are mental.

Back
Top Bottom