What do i need from an AV receiver

Soldato
Hi guys, im terribly noobish with this whole AV thing so please bear with me.

Im in the market for an AV receiver, but have no idea what connections are required... I want the receiver to connect to Sky HD, 5.1 speakers (probably Q Acoustics 1010i's), a PS3 for blu ray and gaming, with the possibility of a shuttle type computer in the future for streaming/playing music.

I assume most if not all budget ~£250 receivers will have the inputs/outputs i need, but if someone could talk me through it it would help me understand the whole concept a lot better.

Thanks! :o:)

Edit - Does Sky HD require an HDMI and a component audio connection seeing as there are HD and SD channels?

Soldato
Any new AVR's should be able to do HD audio over HDMI (can't think what it's called) then can get HD audio from PS3.

For connecting it up i would go:
1x HDMI from PS3 to amp
1x HDMI from Sky to amp, you will also need an optical from sky box to amp for surround sound as the HDMI doesn't carry surround (unless i've heard incorrectly)
Then 1x HDMI from amp to TV

Soldato
Any new AVR's should be able to do HD audio over HDMI (can't think what it's called) then can get HD audio from PS3.

For connecting it up i would go:
1x HDMI from PS3 to amp
1x HDMI from Sky to amp, you will also need an optical from sky box to amp for surround sound as the HDMI doesn't carry surround (unless i've heard incorrectly)
Then 1x HDMI from amp to TV

you are correct but you can also use a digital coax cable (my skyhd has both optical and digital coax and there's no difference between the two)

Associate
By the 2000 series are you talking about the Q Acoustics?

Yeah, the 1000 series are very hard to get hold of now and still carry quite a high premium so might be worth getting the 2000 series, in gloss aswell :D. I was about to purchase these speakers but had to snatch a great deal on the KEF 3005.1's. Both the Q Acoustic series have got great write-ups though so you can't go too wrong!

I bought an Onkyo 607 and though it's a great amp I wish I spent a little more getting the Denon 1910. I've since sampled the Denon and think it sounds a little more clearer compared the Onkyo but it's all about personal taste so I would sample them before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom