whats up with ram prices

Permabanned
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-165-OC&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517

im pretty sure these werent there yesterday, but if any do magically restock themselves, im defo getting a pair. only 8 quid more than what i paid for the ones im using now.

giving the fact they're only 3 months old i could probably make a profit...

Those ones are well priced, but out of stock.

Once they arrive in stock the price will probably increase to £95 at least.

I just felt like looking up my ram on Geil's website, and one thing I noticed is that they say that their 3x2 Gb 2000 Mhz kit is is 'limited supply', but they dont have limited supply on the dual channel 2133 Mhz kit:

http://www.geil.com.tw/products/show/id/189.

It seems like dual channel memory is more abundant than triple channel is.

geili.png

^^ My nice ram, 6 of them for £225 total :) :) :). If any of it breaks, I'll be very very sad.

Last edited:
Associate
****** stupid now...

I paid 80quid for 6gb of good ocz ram (tri channel) like last summer... 160 now.

Moving to mitx I'd need 2x4gb (as 4gb just isnt enough for me tbh and with only 2 ram slots..) 400 quid? FOR HUNDRED POUNDS?

I paid £315 for 2 X 512mb of PC 3200 some years back £400 is very cheap by comparison, incidently I sold it for £20 when I doem with it.

Permabanned
Hello Guys.
Ram prices have always been, and will always be unstable.
I suppose it's mostly supply and demand like anything else but you would think DDR2 would be going down. I hope it does not continue this way, I will start doing all builds with DDR3.

Associate
Some of you should be thankful that your memory is only double what you paid for it.
On eek!bay my Geil Black Dragon ram is near-on TRIPLE what I paid! :eek:

Man of Honour
There is no reason why RAM prices should be any more volatile than other things

Regardless of whether that is true or not, the fact is it IS volatile. Look back over the past decade and you will struggle to find another mainstream computer component that has suffered so many significant price rises.
I'd say there are some factors contributing to it such as:

-Price fixing / cartels etc (proven in court), maybe this is more common for memory producers than other types of hardware
-Very limited number of suppliers, meaning environmental factors can have a severe impact on supply (e.g. the earthquake a few years back)
-Potentially large spikes in demand when new versions of Windows are released, or conversely perhaps not such large spikes as predicted. Idea being that the simplest upgrade people can do if they want to slap Vista/W7 on an older machine is to put more memory in. Personally I think this theory is overplayed though.
-Supply is just more susceptible in general to poor yields than most hardware.

Associate
-Potentially large spikes in demand when new versions of Windows are released, or conversely perhaps not such large spikes as predicted. Idea being that the simplest upgrade people can do if they want to slap Vista/W7 on an older machine is to put more memory in. Personally I think this theory is overplayed though.

I remember RAM prices dive bombing (ie, less than half price) with the release of vista. or at least ddr2 ones anyway

Associate
my ocz reapers has gone up in price too... i should have got another pair at the same time, wish i could got back in time

Yeah the reaper has got up quite a lot. Paid £70 for 2x2gb kit of 1066 and its nearly bang on £100, lucky... :D. Hopefully will come down soon, want to upgrade but the memory prices are holding me back. Just worried if i upgrade buy the memory and prices fall, would be gutted

Back
Top Bottom