Beginner...Help!

Associate
Took a photo tonight, was thinking about entering Bokeh Comp, but seeing the quality of photos in there, will give it a miss! LOL!

Still could do with some advice...
Photo came out grainy as was hand help, dont have a tripod...
Any advise welcome about composition, technique, etc etc...

IMG_1532small.jpg

Link to full size :
http://usera.ImageCave.com/thorien/IMG_1532.JPG

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The grain on an image isn't linked to whether it's hand held or on a tripod. The grain in an image is the result of a high ISO.
Take a read of this. Helped me loads when i first started out.
http://www.morguefile.com/docs/Classroom

Just out of curiosity, what lens did you use?

If I had a tripod, I could have had a longer exposure which would mean a lower iso wouldn't it? which would mean less grain? I'm confused now? :confused:

Soldato
If I had a tripod, I could have had a longer exposure which would mean a lower iso wouldn't it? which would mean less grain? I'm confused now? :confused:

Yeah that's right, sorry i meant the grain isn't a direct result of hand held/tripod use, which is what i thought you meant by the way you phrased it in the op.

Soldato
Nice lens;) Checked exif, you shot at 1/30s, f/2.8, ISO 400. Tbh grain should be fine at ISO 400, you're probably just zooming in too much:) Remember that having a big screen just encourages people to pixel peep. Looks like you've got the settings sorted though - Aperture priority is the way forward.

As for the picture... Well it doesn't really grab me! But then still lifes rarely do tbh. Get outside and try something new rather than taking shots of everyday objects and ornaments.

Soldato
But is the picture ok? or (as I suspect) rubbish?

The picture doesn't quite do it for me. The subject in focus isn't interesting enough for me and the surrounding is 'cluttered' with seemingly little 'layout'. With background items you need to make sure they don't draw attention away from the viewer, and are relevant because some are your items aren't relevant (eg, the telephone box). Also, because the subject is quite small, you'll need to be careful on what items you have in the background, because like i said it'll draw the attention away from what you want the user to see otherwise.

But that's my opinion. And i'm a beginner as well so i'm probably talking rubbish :p
But nah it's a good attempt, all about practice! Something i could do with actually.. i haven't picked up the camera even a tenth of what i've wanted to.

Associate
OP
Guys thanks for the constructive critique, really useful!
You've given me food for thought and now I look at the picture I see what you mean, a bigger subject would have imroved things and not too much distraction in the background, makes sense.
It's my first attempt at anything other than portrait type photos of the family and as I said was thinking about entering bokeh comp (till I saw the qaulity of the pics already in there - OMG!), so thought I'd toss a few items together just to try and get a bokeh type effect, the fact that it was late and so was stuck inside didnt help, also lack of tripod (will need to get a small carry about type one). Anyways will keep practicing! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom