I need more ports.

Soldato
I currently have a router downstairs, where a desktop and laptop is connected. A CAT5 cable then comes around the side of the house into my room.

Under my bed is an old Speedtouch 510v4 which I have been using as a switch for years and it has done a good job. Problem is I need more ports, 4 more to be precise.

I was thinking of putting this new switch into the attic, re-routing the CAT5 that goes into my room from the router into there and then feeding the cables down into the rooms.

If I needed 4 network connections in one room I would need 4 individual feeds from the switch for these devices? Thats right isn't it?

Who makes decent switches?

Cheers.

Soldato
personally i would go for D-Link.

i've used a lot of different switches in the past, and always prefered the d-link ones.

im currently using a d-link managed gigabit switch, but they are a lot more expensive

Associate
They're built like tanks and just never die.

Funny that, i've had upwards of 4 of the netgear 'business' switches fail on me, one decided it would trip the breakers on the power feed too...

Procurve is a good choice, the linksys unmanged stuff seems alright, (just avoid the linksys/cisco small biz managed switches are they are diabolical)

Alternatively, get on the bay, i picked up 2x 24port 3Com L2 managed switches for £22 a couple of years ago.

Soldato
Get one of the Netgear switches. Not the namby pamby new silver ones. One of their old school "square dark blue metal box" style ones. They're built like tanks and just never die.

Ive got a firewall router and a 16 port rackable gigabit switch like that. I reckon they are probably bulletproof (With chocolate 9mm rounds anyway).

Back
Top Bottom