• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Condensation on the GPU cooler

Permabanned
As the above what do you think :)

Before I get people that have had water coolers for 10mins telling me " O you dont want to have that it will kill the card " Yes I understand!!!! Please go away.

I want ppl that have had Phase and LN rigs to give me some advice. People that have had experience with subzero setups.

wet.jpg

Not sure if you think this will do long term but I stripped it all down, painted it again with Liquid Tape and sealed with Putty.

sealed.jpg

Its been ok for a week but starting to doubt it. I have also fitted a fan to the underside of the card to try and dissipate the condensation a little.
but any other pointers will be a help.

Associate
I have this problem with my vapour chill unit i had afew years back on my Q6600 system a high powered dehumidifier in the room actually stoped this for me because the pipes were so cold it were basically just pulling the water from the Air in the room i'm not saying this WILL help in you're case but it might not be helping only other thing i can suggest is wrap the pipes in a thermal insulator so the Air in the room won't react with the pipes / plates.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would suggest trying to get the whole of the cooler insulated, not just the top. The underside where it isn't touching anything could still have condensation if the ambient air is hitting it.

A very thin layer of modelling clay or insulating foam covering the areas (roughly) coloured in red:

2ufd54h.jpg

Other than that there's little you can do, although insulating the pipes like jorzeh mentioned may also be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Thats not a bad idea, Dont think it will do the room as its 10yrds long but if i put the thing upto the rig it might help.
All the Pipes and res are lagged. I have seen an improvement with the fan i fitted to the bottom of the case.

Thanks for the idea mate.

Can see me adding a bit more putty in the morn :)

This is also a little problem :) Its that Cold the top of the GPU looks like its been sprayed with a water bottle. I think i will have to repipe this so its warmer. Never thought i would say that !!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the best thing you can do with it is use Self Adhesive Armaflex tape over it.
It can be built up in layers as thick as you need it to be. You can also cut it out of one sheet to cover the bottom in much the same way you would around a cpu socket.

Associate
DIO DD122FW-MK4 Dehumidifier was the model i had ran for around £200 help me a lot and ofc i legged the whole system it worked fine really helped a lot to the point there were no condenstation gather on the computer but i did leave the unit on 24/7 and the computer room is only 12 feet by 11 feet but it's worth a look just keep the window and door shut and it should work:)

Soldato
Between the card and block you are best using dielectric grease, I have found it works best. On the back side of the block I used frost liquid rubber and neoprene. The liquid rubber is used in classic car restoration to dip coat parts and you can actually mask of the block and dip coat it.

Edit: A couple of fans pointing at the cold spots help a little too.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Thanks for all the info,Will rip it all down and do some more lagging, I have loads of the Armaflex tape left from my mobo, Will also redo the full card again with liquid tape.

Thanks for all the ideas,many heads are better than one.

Back
Top Bottom