Reasonably Priced 13" Notebooks with Nvidia 330M?

Soldato
As title...I've found a Sony Vaio but it seems to be hideously expensive :(

I take it you were talking about the Vaio CW? I had one of those and took it back after having battery problems and no longer being able to live with the poor screen viewing angles. Just google "Vaio cw battery drain" for a LOOONG thread about it which even featured on Engadget!

I couldn't find another one of similar specs for around the same price so gave up! Not much help, I know, but at least you won't feel bad for not getting the CW!

Caporegime
Kumar101 isn't that a netbook? ULV processor?

£550 for a 13" notebook is about as cheap as you can get TBH, 13" laptops are more expensive than their 15" equivilents. The only other option you have is a 13" netbook like the one posted above, or something like the Dell 13z.

Aod

Aod

Soldato

£550 for a 13" notebook is about as cheap as you can get TBH, 13" laptops are more expensive than their 15" equivilents. The only other option you have is a 13" netbook like the one posted above, or something like the Dell 13z.

intel CULV means it isn't a netbook...

Associate

No its definitely 13.3 uses i5 520UM with Turboboost. These will be the first ones out with this Core as far as im aware.

ASUS Website seems to be back up again take a look specs looks good.

Caporegime
intel CULV means it isn't a netbook...

It is in my book, or at least it isn't a traditional laptop.

For example the Sony CW and Dell Studio 13 are not the same as the Asus mentioned or the Dell 13z, there's a reason for the difference in prices.

Caporegime
No its definitely 13.3 uses i5 520UM with Turboboost. These will be the first ones out with this Core as far as im aware.

ASUS Website seems to be back up again take a look specs looks good.

That turboboost thing is what confused me. It says 1.06GHz as standard and up to 1.86GHz. Does that mean it's a 1.86GHz chip but throttled to 1.06GHz most of the time and comparable better in performance than the processors in standard laptops (not ULV processors then)?

Associate
That turboboost thing is what confused me. It says 1.06GHz as standard and up to 1.86GHz. Does that mean it's a 1.86GHz chip but throttled to 1.06GHz most of the time and comparable better in performance than the processors in standard laptops (not ULV processors then)?

Turoboost changes dynamically.

So when you are doing simple stuff like typing document it runs at low speed but if give it something intensive like Video encoding for example it will automatically speed up the CPU to cope with the extra workload.

So you have the best of both worlds cool and quiet for normal use cause its low power than normal i5 but can speedup as and when required.

Associate
I have an nc20, it's 12 inch and it's a netbook.. Good for emailing, surfing, playing videos on VLC, can even run itunes although feels a bit slugging.

But neevr play videos and itunes at the same time.

It'snot 13 inch, and probably not as powerful as you'd like. But it works out pretty good as a daily beater if you are careful on what apps you run on it.

I got mine for £340 over a year ago.. Was a opened return product, and I got an added 10% off by ebay+paypal for some reason.. Which was the best thing the ebay company did for me.

You can pick it up cheaply for a lot less than that.

Back
Top Bottom