Cinema Vs Stay at home

Caporegime
Cinema doesn't appeal to me these days, when you already own a 40"+ sammy tv and denon 5.1 av system (totals <£1000 these days) for watching tv and playing games anyway you may as well stay at home.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
whilst watching a good movie in the comfort of your own home is nice

i must admit, the feeling of going to the cinema to watch a new release is pretty good. its tough to match the experience [unless the chavs you mention are involved]

Soldato
Still very much enjoy going to the cinema.

Both my and the wife hold unlimited cards.
If you go and see a film a week that works out at £3.38 for each visit.
Parking at my main Cineworld is free and at the other you just get your parking endorsed - so it costs £1.

Popcorn - Tesco sell a large bag of "Cinema Popcorn" which tastes exactly the same as the stuff at the cinema, however obviously not hot.
That costs £1 and there is enough in there for both me and the wife.
500ml bottles of Coke, Sprite etc are usually available at supermarkets for £1.60 for two.

So assuming seeing a film a week at our free parking cinema.
Including a bag of popcorn and a bottle of drink.
The whole trip costs us £8.56

Very acceptable for a couple of hours of entertainment.

Oh and if you are having problems with people talking you've got a couple of options.
Grow some balls and ask them to stop - my wife is excellent at that and has about a 95% record of success.
Or go and see the staff who will eject them.

Soldato
I have an unlimited card so go loads but what annoys me is the varying size of the screens in MK from massive to barely bigger than my TV. Also the sound systems vary from screen to screen too. They should have to rank them and display which screen you will be in before you get your ticket IMO.

Man of Honour
I don't mind the cinema. You can have a brilliant set up at home, but a cinema still outguns it. You just have to be lucky/unlucky on the day you choose and who's there. I go once a month, and really enjoy it. Don't buy any of the "food" (if you can call it that) when there, but it doesn't have to be a miserable experience really.

Soldato
The Cinema here is around £5.50 per movie so I go quite often (a few times per month). I prefer it much more than staying at home since I don't have a nice system at home :(

Soldato
The food is a killer on the price. I don't even like the popcorn and literally would never drink a fizzy drink outside of a cinema - yet I find it nearlly impossible to walk past without buying a combo.

Always feel sick afterwards as well!

Soldato
Tonight I took my family out to the cinema. The costs:

1) 2 x Adult tickets using Orange Wednesday 2 for 1 deal = £10.70
2) 2 x child tickets = £15.40
3) Drink, pack of maltesers and a very small pick and mix = £11.50
4) Car parking = £2.50
5) Having chavs kick the back of my seat and munch nachos and popcorn throughout the film whilst talking loudly and mucking about with their phones = free

TOTAL= £40.10
EXPERIENCE = Poor even with 3D gimmicks

The other day I stayed in and watched a bluray in full 1080p on my 46" screen with 5.1 True HD surround. The costs:

1) Film = Free from my "collection" or £12.99 @ play
2) Food and drink including alcohol = "free" and plentiful
3) 7 people watching including friends in comfort = free
4) Car parking = free
5) Annoyances = none

TOTAL = "free" or whatever you want to call the cost of the film and/or food.
EXPERIENCE = Nice

I keep leaving cinemas feeling like I've been robbed! Anyone else?

This isn't exactly a fair assessment now is it. You paid 12.99 for the movie at home and regarding the cost of food, Cinema's are always expensive, which is why people bring there own food most of the time. The food you had at home also cost you money so that wasn't "free".

The cost of tickets is expensive, I would suggest going to an alternative one. Besides that everything else seems fair. £2.50 car parking is hardly a fortune and even then a lot of Cinema's these days do free parking if you use the Cinema (they stamp your ticket for example).

Sounds like you just want to rant over a poor movie you went too, fact you brought kids would suggest it was going to be crap anyway ;)

Caporegime
Aside from IMAX and the 3d showings i rarely go to the cinema at all nowadays

^^^ this tbh... - went to see avatar at my local odeon (cost about 12 quid or something silly) ditto to the IMAX for the pixar film 'UP'

aside from that, unless going on a date or something, I'd prob avoid cinema

one other exception being the local independent cinema 'screen on the green'

http://www.everymancinema.com/

for the same price as the odeon in central London you can get a sofa seat

doesn't exactly show the latest blockbusters though so depends whats on really...

for most films - download/buy/rent and watch on my home cinema

Associate
I went to see Clash of the Titans last night and composed and sent this facebook message on the way home to some freinds, it is keeping in the spirit of this thread.

Let me recount a tale of woe......

After a long, delayed tube trip to Leicester Square to see Clash of the Titans at the Empire for Orange Wednesday and braving the queue for tickets, we were informed that you don't get 3D films on Orange Wednesdays, great.
"OK" I said in defiance, "I'll see it in 2D, I have heard that it was shot in 2D anyway and that the 3D was a shody and hastilly tacked on gimmick to cash in on the craze".
"We're only showing it in 3D" came the triumphant reply and I bowed to the inevitable and asked for two tickets, "Would you like £14.95 or £15.95 tickets" was the next dread inducing sentence.
"Do I get a fekking Making of DVD with that" I exclaimed, "or at least half a hundred weight of Popcorn and a Hogshead of fizzy pop", apparently I didn't.
So after shelling out half a weeks wages on dinner, comprising two portions of Nacho's and a small pop, we took to our seats to watch this 3D extraveganza. "What no bloody cup holder, does the horror never end".

Well the film was about as good as I expected it to be, lacking any of the charm or spectacle of the original and turning out to be mediocre at best.
The so called 3D effects were so subtle (****), it actually made no difference when I took off the glasses half way through. I should have asked for a refund of the extra £2 they demand for 3D films on top of the already ambitious £13 they stipe you anyway.
So the moral of this story, if you are thinking of some cinematic entertainment on a Wednesday evening, stay at home and get a Blu-Ray, it will be cheaper, more comfortable and at least you'll have somewhere to park your drink.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I love going to the Movies - For me it's a night out - away from home, work and everything. However, I hate people munching in my ear and people still use their mobiles and don't realise the light is quite annoying.

I love watching movies at home too, although all my amp stuff is tucked away as we have a 3 year old with a tendency to break things.

2) Food and drink including alcohol = "free" and plentiful

Free food and drink? How come?

Last edited:
Soldato
Much prefer sitting at home and watching a movie, I can pause if I need a pee, food doesn't cost the earth, seating is a damn sight more comfortable and I don't have to deal with afro hair infront of me.

Back
Top Bottom