Zetec S - Thoughts please

Associate
After calling around some insurance companies it seems that I can get insured on a Fiesta Zetec S very reasonably compared to its similar rivals. Would be the MKV btw

Anyone drive one?
Any recurring faults/things to look for when viewing?

Thanks in advance guys!

Associate
My brother had one up until fairly recently, so I've driven one quite a bit.

They're good if you want something reasonably stylish and practical but can't afford the insurance hit of something like a Golf GTI or a Type R. However, don't expect it to be a 'hot hatch'. It doesn't have the power.

My brother's had a problem with the seat (think the pin broke) and some minor knocking in the suspension during ownership, but that was it. I think they're fairly solid, overall, like most Fiestas.

My only advice would be to try and buy one from someone who isn't 18/19!

Soldato
Had one as my 1st car. Great little car.

Don't expect it to be fast as lightning, however it still was fairly nippy. Nothing went wrong with it in 2 years of ownership and it did get thrashed a fair bit!

At times I do acctually miss it. What are you wanting out of a car? If it is something quick then think again...or go for a fabia vrs, I went to this after the fiesta and it felt like a rocket ship, I then sold this to release some funds and bought a Mondeo ST24 which has been the best car out of the 3 I have owned.

Last edited:
Associate
From what I've heard from my mate, it's just the usual Ford rust hotspots (wheelarches etc as stated above) and suspension knocks, the only other problem he had was the drivers seat release for rear access.

Otherwise fairly nippy though not what you'd call quick and also easy to work on compared to some of the rivals

Caporegime
Go for the PH2 Model, easily identified by the darker charcoal interior instead of grey. You get nicer wheels, generally better spec and a stronger engine. Oh and you have to buy one in Imperial Blue, its the law ;)

Associate
OP
Edgey I'd love an ST but can't justify the insurance beating! Can afford it just hurts me to pay what they're asking lol

Im not expecting a rocketship dont worry about that but nippy would be suitable.

Thanks for the info Janesy and Imperial Blue is top of the list if I can find a decent one!

Soldato
They're good if you want something reasonably stylish and practical but can't afford the insurance hit of something like a Golf GTI or a Type R. However, don't expect it to be a 'hot hatch'. It doesn't have the power.

In fairness, neither does the ST.

Anyway, they're good enough little cars. Actually look pretty tidy and represent ok value second hand. If you like them, get one.

Xez

Xez

Associate
My friend has a Zetec S and it's a very tidy car. It's thrashed everyday and has been very reliable only needing a new rear bush in its two years of ownership. Rusty rear arches are the main problem these have but not a lot else.

Soldato
which Zetec-s are we talking about? the one from 02ish or the more recent last gen model?

Some are saying check fot rust which would suggest the 02ish one, but then other are saying get the ST, which would suggest the last gen one

Associate
OP
Janesy's right, and its not the purchase of the ST its insuring the damn thing!

Seems as though nobodys got many bad things to say about the car which must be a plus.

Thanks guys :D

Caporegime
Its a good car that really needed the 1.7 Sigma SE to make it feel special.

Full SS exhaust and 4-2-1 manifold and a sport cat will make it nicer.

All the money spent on that would pay for 80% of the 1.7 conversion which would give you 23BHP extra instead of the extra 5 given by the mods you describe.

Associate
All the money spent on that would pay for 80% of the 1.7 conversion which would give you 23BHP extra instead of the extra 5 given by the mods you describe.

Thought most 1.6s saw a good 15 to 20bhp with those ?
Also the 1.6 is easier to stick throttle bodies on if you wanting to go mad with it.

VCT in the 1.7 holds it back somewhat when it comes to tuning.

Caporegime
No way, not with a standard map. It's quite expensive to extract extra power out of the 1.6 which is why the Puma/FRP engine swap is so popular.

Associate
No way, not with a standard map. It's quite expensive to extract extra power out of the 1.6 which is why the Puma/FRP engine swap is so popular.

I stand corrected then, it is rather expensive to tune these engines.

I've been thinking about an upgrade for my Puma but can't ever seem to justify at all. For the money you'd spend I'd be better off with some turbo jap beast instead. But then I've not found anything as nice and chuckable as the puma.

Back
Top Bottom