• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

lynnfield vtt > 1.21 "fairly safe"

Associate
Intel used to give 1.35V as safe on vtt, then with lynnfield 1.21V became max.

But I have been following discussions over at the G.Skill forums, and their lead tech advisor routinely advises people to up their vtt (on lynnfield systems) well past 1.21, and in this case:

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4622&page=2

he recommends try 1.5V. I had to make an account to ask him if he thought if this was safe and he replied:

"It is fairly safe, it is simply necessary for "overclocking". Intel considers anything above DDR3-1333 overclocking, so that keep that in mind with all their voltage limitations. Of course aftermarket hardware is designed to take the extra voltage, so we suggest what we consider normal. "

So is the 1.21V max by intel 'hogwash'? Thoughts?

Associate
I managed to get 4.1Ghz at 1.25v VTT so I don't think it's necessary for 1.5v VTT. Furthermore Intel created the chips and know what stuff they can take. For example no one would say aftermarket hardware means you should put your core voltage to 1.7v. Unless you are ready to lose the chip I would say not to regularly exceed Intel's spec because that's what its there for.

Soldato
I agree that it seems most lynnfield chips need ~1.2ish for 4GHz and when clocking higher even more is required.

In fact it seems vtt is more of a factor on overclocking than vcore....however I think that recommending 1.5vtt is extremely foolish.

Back
Top Bottom