DELETED_5350

Associate
Mondeo Zetec-S tdci?

I was under the impression that the TDCI engines had a few potential expensive problems, ie the following:

1. Injectors failing
2. Dual Mass Flywheel failing

I have also been looking at the Mondeo Ghia-X Estate 2.0ltr TDCI, but the above has put me off and I don't believe the petrol models will return the required mpg.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong though, as I usual am! :)

Soldato
No reason to go for a diesel at all. The OP hasn't stated that that is what he wants so i assume he doesn't need the benefits of a diesel.

Honda Accord of some kind?

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1527884.htm

Maybe if you were interested in performance you could find an Accord Type R?

In fairness, he didnt stipulate mileage, but he did say he wants it to do 40+mpg, which the petrol wont do.

All cars have potentially expensive problems - if you like the car otherwise, do some proper research and make your own mind up. You've only got to look at the sheer number of TDCI mondeos on the road to know they arent a guaranteed timebomb

Associate
have recently moved from a 2.0 petrol mondeo to a 2.0tdci and i would have to say that the car is far better suited to the diesel. its a big old boat and the extra torque makes it a lot more pleasurable to drive.

Soldato
Exactly, the argument is always that the fuel savings get eliminated by the potential repair bills, but whats the worst case scenario? You end up having paid the same to get the better engine. Best case, you've paid a lot less.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one should I be in the market for that sort of thing again

Associate
Exactly, the argument is always that the fuel savings get eliminated by the potential repair bills, but whats the worst case scenario? You end up having paid the same to get the better engine. Best case, you've paid a lot less.

It's got more torque and is more ecconomical in terms of fuel used but better? Against it's less refined, has less power and a smaller power band than the 2.0 petrol.

Soldato
It's got more torque and is more ecconomical in terms of fuel used but better? Against it's less refined, has less power and a smaller power band than the 2.0 petrol.

A Mondeo's not the sort of car where you want to use a wide power band really! The 2.0 isnt bad and is obviously a bit quieter, but the oil burner just suits the car better

Associate
A Mondeo's not the sort of car where you want to use a wide power band really! The 2.0 isnt bad and is obviously a bit quieter, but the oil burner just suits the car better

I think it depends what your priorities are. The diesel is better for crusing on the motorway and chuging around town as the increase in noise and vibration isn't that noticable and the extra torque makes it feel quicker. The petrol is imo more enjoyable to drive and steers slightly better. It's also faster if you're actually trying. However I can't imagine just driving mine for the sake of it but for what it is it's ok and can be enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom