Sold car....unhappy buyer....advice?

Associate
Smithy, when you sell a house, if the boiler blows up a month later would you replace it for the new owners?

This is just not how private sales work! He doesnt need to do anything about it and should in no way be feel to be made bad about it.

Good example: we bought house, moved in Dec 16th, Dec 20th boiler completely died, 2 weeks without heating over xmas before we could get someone to come and fit a new one... nice

Associate
Smithy, when you sell a house, if the boiler blows up a month later would you replace it for the new owners?

A month, no. The next day, Yes.

If there's a chance I overlooked something which may well have been broken at the time of sale, and I hadn't advertised that it was broken, I would be willing to pay for that error on my part.

Soldato
A month, no. The next day, Yes.

If there's a chance I overlooked something which may well have been broken at the time of sale, and I hadn't advertised that it was broken, I would be willing to pay for that error on my part.

Of course you wouldn't. It would be buyer beware in exactly the same way that the car is sold as seen in this scenario. If your buyer wanted total of piece of mind that the boiler was in good condition then you would assume they would carry out an independent heating survey.

It's exactly the same as the house I just bought, I opted not to have a detailed structural survey instead just a basic valuation. I saved £500 but I have no come back if anything goes wrong. My choice entirely, buying things like a house or a car is risky. If the guy who bought the OP's car was concerned, he should have opted for a detailed AA check.

Associate
If the guy who bought the OP's car was concerned, he should have opted for a detailed AA check.

Choice of attitude. I don't settle for relying on the "sold as seen, your problem now" answer to a sale where I've failed to accurately describe the item in the advert.

This boils down to opinion of morals. "sold as seen" isn't actually gospel when it comes to private sales. You are an individual and how you conduct yourself is down to you. You have a choice. If you justify the way you conduct yourself in private sales with "that's just the way private sales are done" then that is down to you, it's your choice to conduct yourself this way.

I've made a choice about how I conduct myself in private sales. My opinion is that the onus is on the seller to accurately describe the item he is selling. Failure to identify a fault by the buyer at the time of sale is not sufficient for me to pretend that I didn't just sell a falsely advertised item. It does not validate my actions. "That's just the way private sales are done" does not validate my actions.

I may have innocently been inaccurate with the items description. Show me proof of my negligence (in this case, quotes from multiple garages which consistently describe the fault) and I will pay for my error.

Associate
On the one hand; To buy a car on ebay without first viewing it or taking it for a test drive is asking for trouble. This is in part owing to the nature of ebay, that is; "you bid to buy, not to view".

On the other hand; Real life isn't like ebay. And I don't believe people should apply the flippant attitude you can get away with using most of the time on ebay to these sort of situations. If only in the name of decency, you should endeavour to resolve this in the best way you know, which is more often than not the way you feel most comfortable with.

I would adopt malc30's attitude in this case, not the "tough ****" attitude advised by many.

Always the diplomat Ryan :p

Soldato
Why would you purchase a car without even seeing it in person? Some people are dense. give him the ,,!,, if you can get away with it.

Soldato
Choice of attitude. I don't settle for relying on the "sold as seen, your problem now" answer to a sale where I've failed to accurately describe the item in the advert.

This boils down to opinion of morals. "sold as seen" isn't actually gospel when it comes to private sales. You are an individual and how you conduct yourself is down to you. You have a choice. If you justify the way you conduct yourself in private sales with "that's just the way private sales are done" then that is down to you, it's your choice to conduct yourself this way.

I've made a choice about how I conduct myself in private sales. My opinion is that the onus is on the seller to accurately describe the item he is selling. Failure to identify a fault by the buyer at the time of sale is not sufficient for me to pretend that I didn't just sell a falsely advertised item. It does not validate my actions. "That's just the way private sales are done" does not validate my actions.

I may have innocently been inaccurate with the items description. Show me proof of my negligence (in this case, quotes from multiple garages which consistently describe the fault) and I will pay for my error.

Well that's a good attitude to have and I would love to buy a car or house from someone as honest as you. My only concern is that you are opening yourself up for people to take advantage.

If the OP genuinely was unaware of the gearbox issues then he did describe the advert accurately. Who is to say that the issue didn't occur while it was in the possession of the new owner? Private sales are very much buyer beware, this is why the experience of buying from a deal costs so much more but you do get the additional piece of mind that comes with it.

Soldato
Choice of attitude

That is it, although as I'm sure you get, our point is that you certainly don't have an obligation to do anything.

But I know if you were ever to knock my pint over, I would get another one :p :D

Just don't be taken advantage of for your good nature.

Soldato
I always put in sale contract that the car is "sold as seen".

What matters in your situation is that you got paid in cash, full amount. Just tell them when they call you that they did see what they paid for.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Couple of points - if the gearbox was that bad, surely he would have come back after driving a couple of miles up the road.

Secondly, on the description of the sale, your comments are as qualified as you are. If you are not a mechanic and its nothing massively obvious to everyone then small issues are up to the buyer to deal with, not the seller.

Associate
Tell him you'd like to do what you can, but you can't. Then laugh, because he is a 24-carat tool. You are obligated, legally and morally, to do absolutely ZERO for this guy. He's trying to rob you.

Back
Top Bottom