Help, no beeps on new build, can't boot :(

Associate
Hi all, I ordered all my new bits yesterday and have put them intogether but i'm not getting any beeps (does something need to be connected to get beeps i could have missed?)

My setup is;

Retail 17 920
Rampage II Gene
6gb of OCZ Gold memory
Sapphire ATI 4670
Antec Fusion HTPC case (fiddly!)

I've built systems before but i've never not been able to get a beep out of it.
All the fans turn on and all the LEDS on the motherboard turn on.

The only thing i notice is in the instruction manual it says wait for the 'start' buton to flash 3 times but for me it is a continuous light and doesn't ever flash. It doesn't say what that means in the manual!

Help, desperately please!

RJC

RJC

Don
Have you connected the case speaker to the front header panel on the motherboard.

Does the board actually post.

Associate
OP
I can't actually tell i dont have a speaker LED connector thing with this case as far as i can see, i have AC97 and HD audio headers though?

I get no signal and no beeps. but the start button and reset button are illuminated.

RJC

RJC

Don
Sound's like you don't have a speaker (this will go were the hd led and power buttons go), so you wont here any peeps.

Check the memory are in the correct slots - I did this on my build.
Are all power connectors connected including the 8 pin for cpu power.

Associate
Have you tried testing the build outside of the case?
Only -my very first build was done straight in the case, heavy cursing ensued since it wouldn't post or beep. When testing outside the case everything was fine. It turned out that a rogue mounting screw on the case was grounding out the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Thanks RJC, I will go through it step by step. I have the square power connector (next to the main board power) and the other square one nearer the cpu also connected.

Its going to be a pain without beeps, how can i diagnose if i need to send it back i just get no output so it could be graphics related as well! nightmare.

I haven't done a build for about 5 years i thought things were meant to get easier!

Soldato
When i built my first build, I put the ram in the secondary slots, and i7 needs at least one ram stick in the main slots to post.
It should have in the Asus manual the slots labelled:

A2-A1-B2-B1-C2-C1
and then a graph showing the best setups :)

All of the primary sockets are blue for you :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
All, Thanks for the input.

Ryan - I followed the instructions and yes i put it in the blue ones, however i tired the white ones in despration too!

I guess its taking it out of the case time. it took me agest to get it in as well.

Looking at this grounding issue, i put originally the brass stand offs in two of the holes to give the motherboard thee most support (as case instructions directed) however this lead to the motherboard not sitting properly elsewhere so i tookt hem off and have screwed it into the original stand offs' which aren't brass, does this matter?

The motherboard has lights and LEDS on it but nothign to indicate a problem apart from the motherboard manual states the start button should flash 3 times but it doesnt it stays on solidly.

Soldato
screwed it into the original stand offs' which aren't brass,
Do you mean the `bumps` in the backplate?These are usually found on cheaper cases and sometimes are not in the right place for all mobos.
If so I usually put insulation tape over any that are in the wrong place,worth checking yours :)

Back
Top Bottom