Have you been very lucky over the years?

Soldato
Had a couple os PSU's pop a couple of HDD's but i'm quite unlucky when it comes to Motherboards though, my last 3 have developed faults i'm lucky when it comes to GPU's though as i've only ever had 1 of them die.

Associate
only thing i can remember in the last 8 years or so is a graphics card dieing on me other than that ive been pretty lucky. Oh and a 17" samsung lcd died on my after 2 and half years but it was under warranty and they replaced it with a refurbished one which is still running to this day. Guess i am lucky :D

Associate
some inverter thing (not sure precisely) failed between my laptop mobo and screen causing coloured lines to streak down it permanently. Failed a couple of months outside of warranty when i was 15, and didnt know about the fit for use part of the consumer good act back then. Would have cost 200 to repair as it needed to be soldered onto the mobo. Only jus sent it to the tip in the last couple of months, and im 22 now xD

Soldato
I have been reletively very lucky over the years, nothing has ever broken or died on me. the only problem i've ever had is right now, some sort of memory problem where the pc reboots again within 30's of reaching the desktop. It happens once per session but i have been really lazy about fixing it as when it boots up the second time it's prefectly stable

Last edited:
Soldato
One more thing to add, I had one of my Antec Tri-Cools in my P180 die after it was running on high for a long time. I liked those little switches they had built-in, wonder if you can buy them seperate and wire them in to any fan?

Man of Honour
I have been lucky over the years as well, but there was a time (release of 9700 pro) that i spent roughly a year with a system that was never stable. The problem was that the 9700 pro in the first instance also had massive compatability problems with the VIA KT333 chipset on my asus A7V333r which caused 6 months of component changing before finally finding the issue.

After that I managed to kill 2 x nf7-s boards, 3 x 9700pro's and 1 x 9800pro, but since that fiasco and dropping my water loops for air all has once again been well. As with the op my first try with SLI/Crossfire also went without any issues (3870&3850).

It all brings back the memories though, I remember being driven to every local computer store on the release day of the 9700pro trying to get the card and failing miserably only to have one sitting there for me when I got home. Ahh those were the days.... when the best thing to do was spend pittance on a barton 2500m or a magic throughbread 1700xp and clock the nuts off of it for the magic 3200+ (and more) speeds.

/random rambling on about the good ol' days.

Associate
Hmmmm since 1996 when I got my first PC, I've had 3-6 HDD's fail. 1 SSD fail. 3-4 CD/DVD drives fail. 2-3 PSUs fail. A couple of CD's expload inside my rigs. It's never really been too bad though, always RMA'd if it was worth a lot of money or had a backup. Here at NASA we double up on everything. :)

Soldato
I had a Hiper 580w PSU blow up too just 3 months after buying it. Luckily it didnt fry any of my components, just silently shut off with smoke coming out from the back of my PC.

I got it replaced with a Tagan 580w that lasted for well over 3 years, then had an OCZ 780w, and now a 1100w Tagan Piperock.

Must have been unlucky with it. Ive had a Hiper 580w since they were new and im still using it now. So in your time of having 4 PSUs ive been using one. *hopes it hasnt blown up today and set fire to my house*

Ive been reasonably unluckly, RMAd 2 hard drive, memory twice, sent back one motherboard and many random problems. Most of my older problems were down to my 300w (maybe lower) psu that came with an unbranded case. I think the case and psu cost me £30 and it went on to run an 8800GT, 4 hard drives, a dvd drive, dual core cpu and some other stuff :o

It eventually went when I got so annoyed I flicked it to american voltage and fried it, then binned the case and spend around £150 on a new PSU and case

Associate
I've been lucky, over the last 20 years or so

1 x Dead HDD (all my mp3s and photos - thank god for GetDataBack)
1 x Blown PSU (which only took itself out)

Not bad going.

Soldato
Had a Hiper 580watt blow on me, and a 6800GTO get burned alive when my ex blocked the exhaust vent on the PC. neither my fault, but both annoying problems all the same. Thats since my first build at 16 and im 28 in june. So its been okay

Hitman
Soldato
I think I've been quite lucky.

From memory, I've had:

- 1 RAM stick die.
- A graphics card die.
- A PSU die (didn't take anything else with it thankfully!).
- Most recent: A 128GB SSD die (4 months old :().

That's in the space of 10-12 years.

Associate
I have never have any problem last year ^^ ..

Ah , except that there is a time I decide to gamble with £7 10m HDMI gold cable sell from a power seller on ebay ^^. And .. of course it not work :D

Back
Top Bottom