thoughts on this set up?

Associate
18884390t.png

Morning guys trying to shave off about £50 on this build just dont know where i can. any help would be hugely appreciated cheers

Associate
+1 to keeping it as it is. Looks like a great build.

But if you have to then maybe the Athlon 630 would be a better choice....

Also I dont know if you have chosen the caviar green knowingly but the caviar blue might be a better choice - better balance between performance and power consumption (although admittedly I have no direct experience maybe check some benchmark reviews before you buy).

Last edited:
Soldato
Morning guys trying to shave off about £50 on this build just dont know where i can. any help would be hugely appreciated cheers

What's the build for? I don't see a graphics card there so either you already have one or it's not a gaming build in which case the cpu might be overkill.

Associate
OP
Its got an alright built in graphics card on the mobo so no worries there. its for my father in law who only really downloads movies and burns them but wants something new and fast with windows 7. Let me know if there is any other changes which you guys think! Cheers for all the feedback so far!! Love the OC forums

Associate
Its got an alright built in graphics card on the mobo so no worries there. its for my father in law who only really downloads movies and burns them but wants something new and fast with windows 7. Let me know if there is any other changes which you guys think! Cheers for all the feedback so far!! Love the OC forums

Will he be overclocking? If not then I think the phenom is probably not necessary. I would save the money and go for a quad or even triple core athlon. You can spend the money you save on a high performance hard drive (caviar black or similar). He will see more of an effect from that when browsing etc than from a quad cpu.

Last edited:
Associate
Will he be overclocking? If not then I think the phenom is probably not necessary. I would save the money and go for a quad or even triple core athlon. You can spend the money you save on a high performance hard drive (caviar black or similar). He will see more of an effect from that when browsing etc than from a quad cpu.

Agreed, dial down the processor a few notches and spend a little more on the other components. Oh and on a side note I have a 1TB caviar green as a storage drive at the moment and it's seek time is fairly horrendous. Good thing I have a 500GB caviar black as my windows drive.

Permabanned
I dont agree with above statements, keep the processor.
Presumably he needs to Convert the files he downloads to a different format to be played on dvd player etc. The quad core with the extra Level3 cache is a good idea for this, however the hd is important and possible swap out That WD Green for a 500GB sammy F3 :D

Read the reviews which shows that the extra cache in the Phenoms makes a difference in format conversion/transcoding.

Soldato
A phenom 555 would shave more than £50 off and if you're lucky it might even unlock to a quad. Even if it doesn't it's still a good cpu and shouldn't make that much difference unless your dad uses multithreaded software.

Permabanned
I agree, he would need to use multithreaded software to make use of the Quadcore however if he is'nt then the argument for not going quadcore falls flat because any cpu with more than one core is pointless.

So advice is, get the original phenom you chose and make sure he ussed a good multithreaded app to convert with which can utilize the true power of that cpu

Good multithreaded app for converting.

http://handbrake.fr/

This review may be worth looking at

http://www.anandtech.com/print/2923

Associate
Read the reviews which shows that the extra cache in the Phenoms makes a difference in format conversion/transcoding.

had not thought of that. How much difference does it make?

guess it is up to gaz2341 whether he wants to pay for the difference, it is still quite a big cost increase.

Back
Top Bottom