TX-P42S20B Vs G20?

Soldato
Apart from the dvb-s, what's the difference between these 2 TVs?

I have both my sat cables going into a media center, so I dont really need dvb-s, should i save myself £150 by going for the S20?

Soldato
Not really the Kuro tech - the G20 doesn't have that either. The S models don't have the NEO PDP panel which is a much better panel for contrast/blacks and power consumption. Also a few other features like THX certification.

Soldato
OP
Says in that video and on the website the S20 has the NeoPDP panel.

Seeing as i'll be watching most stuff via media center, what I want is the best panel. filters, features, streaming etc doesnt interest me.

Soldato
The best ones are the V20 / VT20 in terms of the panel but they aren't out and are gunna be expensive (looking at £2k+ for the 50" VT20).

The S20 would be fine in terms of HD content - it's using the same panel tech as G10 like the guy says in the video so that's a pretty sweet tv to start with!

Soldato
OP
I've waited this long to get a new TV as my toddler has almost got past the stage of smacking the thing when there's something he doesnt want to watch on. My LCD hhas took lots of punishment over the last 3 years, do these new plasmas have durable screens???

Soldato
You sure that video is correct - maybe it's talking about the US lineup (dunno - have no sound at work)? If you go to the panasonic site and make sure you're looking at the europe lineup, the S model doesn't have a NEO PDP. The US lineup has an S model with the NEO PDP. Asia only gets the NEO PDP on their V model!

Have a look here

Last edited:
Soldato
Says in that video and on the website the S20 has the NeoPDP panel.

Seeing as i'll be watching most stuff via media center, what I want is the best panel. filters, features, streaming etc doesnt interest me.

the s20 definatly doesnt have neoPDP its not got THX either, so the g20 can be setup properly. both tv's have freeview HD but only the g20 has freesat had, which is requiered for bbc iplayer, the G20 can also recored to external Hdd's and play back divx files from usb or sd cards.

The s20 also has a horrible case with pretend looking carbon effect the G20 doesnt and looks much better.

Soldato
Isn't it one of the viera cast channels like youtube etc?

That's a guess as I'm not sure!

I've found the Youtube one, but I can't seem to find the iPlayer one/not sure how to get it....

Unless you have to be in freesat mode and then press the VieraCast button? I'll try that one tonight.

EDIT: Researching around shows that it is done in Freesat mode by pressing the red button on a bbc channel. Will try tonight.

Last edited:
Soldato

I dare say the shop site is more likely to have the wrong information on it than the official 'brochure' publicity site I linked to. In fact if you look at the specs on the shop site it doesn't say it's a Neo PDP panel and quotes the same lower contrast value found in the site I linked to. But maybe an email is in order to panny to confirm.

Soldato
OP
Well I ended up getting a X20, yeah it doesnt have all the stuff the S and G models have, but I got it for a good price and I do all that `other stuff` via the media center.

Soldato
OP
Yes, I dont own a BR Player and dont plan on having one anytime soon, so I dont own any 1080p stuff. All I view is AVI's / MKV's and freesat for HD. For under £500 this thing is perfect for my needs.

Back
Top Bottom