Worth buying books on VBA and Access or just use the net?

Soldato
Hi

I have started a new job role and it looks highly likely that they will want me to create a database for them, I am OK with office programs but no so clued up on Access.

I am sure that it will have to interact with excel as well hence the VBA question.

When looking at books all the excel ones are to simple, I know conditional formatting, most formulas and basic VBA.

So finally to the question, is it worth buying books in VBA and access if so which ones, or will I find everything I need on the net?

Thanks.

(PS I know this has been asked in another thread but has had no repsonses, maybe it was the wrong one?)

Soldato
I've been in a similar position in the past and managed to get by with just online information.

The only thing I wish now was that I had more knowledge on planning out database structures and alternative ways to do things. What I found was that I could easily implement something that works, and that would be fine till I hit a problem. Then I'd start looking into it for help on the internet and would usually find that my initial implementation could have been a lot better. So I'd then re-design a section of the database. It's very easy to end up in this situation of research, learn, re-design, improve - which is not a very efficient way of working.

I don't think you'd avoid this by buying books though. I think the best thing would be to try getting onto some database design courses, as I feel this would probably have helped me a lot.

Associate
I've bought books for Javascript and CSS which I've barely read. I thought it'd be useful to have it as a good reference but so far I haven't needed to use. It's due to the way I choose to learn though as I tend to go straight into something without learning the basics. I usually just Google specific problems I'm having and so far is has been sufficient enough.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
You can get by with just the net, however having a decent reference book is always useful. Especially if you can get work to pay for it.

Man of Honour
A decent book on general relational databases would be the best start I would say. Access and VBA is fairly easy to find info on, but most of it assumes a decent grounding in database design.

Get the design right, and the rest is fairly easy, get it wrong and you'll constantly be fighting the design.

Back
Top Bottom