New intel socket...Q1 2011

Soldato
I suppose it depends what you plan to upgrade it for. These new sandy bridge chips should be fast (replacing s1156 parts), but the X58 platform will remain the top-dog and only home of Intel x16x16 PCIe until it is superseded by its own Sandy Bridge in Q3 2011.

Associate
It is a good news to me in a way :D. Actually most of the time I upgrade my PC not because of I need it, but I want it. So I always try to find a reason for me to not upgrade. And last time I talk to my self : "slow down boy, 6 cores gonna release soon, so wait for it", and now :D I can hold up for another year, because of a new socket ^^. Saved me lots of money.

Soldato
OP
Yeh iv been holding off going either I5/I7 untill the tech was about for abit, and settled down, now this news starts coming out im like ffs, ahwell i'll stick to my S775 for another year.

Associate
With Intel I consider it lucky if my latest mobo's socket is still current a year after purchase. :D

So the life of LGA1366 & LGA1156 doesn't seem too bad at all - not in the AMD league of course, but not bad for Intel.

Associate
Yeh iv been holding off going either I5/I7 untill the tech was about for abit, and settled down, now this news starts coming out im like ffs, ahwell i'll stick to my S775 for another year.

Well you gotta remmeber that as soon as you buy something its gonna be out date in the next week so just buy it so you actually have something :p

Soldato
Well you gotta remmeber that as soon as you buy something its gonna be out date in the next week so just buy it so you actually have something :p

+1

Anyway, i7 has been out since late 2008 - so you really should have had enough time to recognise that the nahalem chips are rather good. IMHO Q4 2008 to Q3 2011 (Q1 for mainstream parts) isn't exactly a bad run for top-end computing tech.

Back
Top Bottom