Fanless Water Cooling?

Associate
OP
Actually, a quick browse shows that they are reasonably priced.

What is the deal with Cape Cora anyway? What are the main pro/cons over a standard rad?

Don
Cape Cora are designed as radiators - not heat exchangers like the "radiators" that are usually used in watercooling. Each one can cope with 25W of heatload with a reasonable Temperature Delta.

Associate
OP
Cape Cora are designed as radiators - not heat exchangers like the "radiators" that are usually used in watercooling. Each one can cope with 25W of heatload with a reasonable Temperature Delta.

Err, thanks, I think :)

25W doesn't sound like a lot? Any idea how many I would need to cool my Q8200?

Associate
Well you can get a HF 642 which has 6 cores in it for about 80 euro.. so 60-70 quid?

The guy is cooling his CPU and GPU on 4 cores so surely HF642 would be enough for you.

Associate
I found two reviews of this stuff, albeit in German. Apparently there's a HF 1042, so I'm guessing 10 cores in that one. The temperatures are way better than Swiftech triple rad, on all of them, even the 4-core stack.

http://www.aquainfos.net/2010/03/18/alphacool-cape-cora-hf-2/
http://www.effizienzgurus.de/review...einleitung-lieferumfang-technische-daten.html

Innovatek also make some interesting passive rads. Either way, if I was looking at fanless water cooling I wouldn't be going with a radiator that's made for fans, there are cheaper rads made for this purpose :)

Soldato
Err, thanks, I think :)

25W doesn't sound like a lot? Any idea how many I would need to cool my Q8200?

The TDP of the Q8200 at stock is 95w, so you would easily cool that with a 4 core cape cora rad (so thats 25 x 4 = 100w), anything more obviously will be better.

Soldato
In theory dpajur you are right.
And the Innovatek tube rads are better that the cape corra ones (more surface area)
Radient panel passive cooling is new big leep forward (see maxi/ultra plus)
Something i'd also recomend, if you have the budget.

But with just a single case fan the PA120.3 will cool my complete system
undervolted [email protected]/NB/GTX260(550/1900/1000) at below stock temps.
The rad cost me £35inc second hand! and will cool 100-150w of heat easy
Ok I have the best passive psu money can buy and SSD, both of which add no heat to my system.
A passive PA/RX/SR1 is internal, weights less, made of copper (so no mixed metals) is equal to 4-6 CC tubes
but MUST be roof mounted (limiting cases).

It really is a fantastic 'old' rad - the SR1 is even better I'm told

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the info everyone.

Actually, I was intending to mount the rad outside the case anyway since it would not only help it cool down but would also help keep the inside of the case colder as well.

I noticed that the Innovatek ones are a much more expensive than the Alphacool Cape Cora rads. Guess you get what you pay for. :)

A PA120.3 for £35? Damn, I need to hurry up and get into the MM to see if there are any second hand bargains like that to be had! :)

Back
Top Bottom