Killer nic xeon pro

Soldato
I haven't used one, I believe the general consensus was that they are a bit of a scam. I use the onboard ethernet on my motherboard (in my sig) and it does great.

However, I would be interested to hear how you found it. How did it compare to your integrated ethernet controller?

Associate
OP
I too thought it was a bit of a scam, but i bought one anyway because i was intrested in seeing if it worked. And i was impressed at least 15ms improvment across the board.

It has application mode and game mode application mode is if you ever have problems with it, (i never have) it also increases bandwith when moving files across servers.

When u put it in app mode it is unaccelerated and acts as a regular nic, when u put it in game mode it speeds up.

My ping improvments was much better across the board, i did quite a few tests on many games. 15-20 ms improvments, i love having the lowest pings in l4d2 ^^.

it did also increase my fps...by like 4fps..not much but i didnt get it for frame rate i got it to reduce lag and it has worked, the xeon pro is nice.

I was one of those that hated the company and said the youtube videos were faked but i got one ne way lol

Associate
OP
oh and another thing i like about them is the support they give, i have been having live chats with them suggesting improvments / changes to make.

They have a bandwith control app that runs of the nics processor and dedicated ram, it allowes me to desginate any amount of bandwith to all the applications i can run and can give priority bandwith its nice when running vent i put it on priority 2 the game on 1 and everything else on 3

Soldato
If you want a better NIC than the standard one built into a motherboard, just get an intel pro/1000 card. Spend the money saved buying that instead of a killer nic and put that money into a new graphics card or CPU and you will get much better results.

Soldato
If you want a better NIC than the standard one built into a motherboard, just get an intel pro/1000 card. Spend the money saved buying that instead of a killer nic and put that money into a new graphics card or CPU and you will get much better results.

I agree. I use these in both Home Server and PC.

The application limiting part does sound good for the bandwidth, but in no way justifies the price tag!

Associate
OP
The benchmarks i did showed there was a impvovment across the board. Even switching from app mode to game mode you can see the pings change, i tried on a lot of servers and a lot of games, there wasnt one negative result, it too much just to be luck.

I dont mind if you dont agree with me, but thats what i got.

Associate
OP
The best ping diffrences i noticed was on l4d2 on my fav servers i got just 15-20ms improvment across the board. I'm not sure on fps increase as i have v sync on

TF2 it didnt help too much but it did help under 10ms

Runes of magic only helped by 4ms was hoping for better =( i allways had it at 42 now its allways at 38 somtimes 37, and this is constant. It did help with fps to by around 3fps

Dungeons and dragons online my ping improved just under 10, in the same area under same server load.

Quake wars improved too, couldent tell by how much because it changes to much but my lowest and highest pings seem better.

---

Theese are the problems i had but live support helped me change some settings and now is all fine.

I'm having a few issues with it atm, when i enable bandwith control then disable all my profiles are removed and i have to re do it all again. same goes for the xeon firewall.

My downloads are crippled in game mode, i have to put it into app mode to download games on steam at my normal rate.

Associate
OP
I dont know what "tracerts" is but if you have steam add me and i would be happy to show you me putting it on game mode and putting it on app mode, the diffrences are quite large, i have quite a few games 70+ im sure you will have some of mine if you are a gamer.

Ill be off soon to groom my dog, ill check back later.

Associate
OP
if you go :

Start > Run > type "CMD" > Ok

that opens a command line. Simply type :

tracert www.google.co.uk

that will test the connection so to speak to googles server. A before and after will show us much more detail :)

Thank you.

ok i have done it, should i hide my ip adress? im a noob when it comes to theese things. i will post them in a few hours partner is giving me agro telling me to get of my arse lol

Back
Top Bottom