How do you spell...

Soldato
dilemma/dilemna

For some reason, I always used the latter until a few years ago when I saw 'dilemma' used quite a lot. I did assume it was the yank version but a bit of googling made me realise I must be wrong... or was I?

There seems to be some online debate about it too... ppl admit to using it but have no idea where from. It's hardly a spelling err in the traditional sense? Odd.

The only word I can think that's similar is 'damn'

:s

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst326_Spelling-dilemna.aspx

Soldato
OP
From Late Latin dilemma, from Ancient Greek δίλημμα (dilēmma, “double proposition”), from δι- + λῆμμα (lēmma, “premise, proposition”).

Kind of gives us the clue as to the right word to use.

I've read the explanations too but thanks for your awesome reply.

Like everyone, I make mistakes but my spelling mistakes are few and far between. I would have had to have seen this word in print, several times over, in my younger years to have (albeit wrongly) formed it as part of my vocab.

I'm just wondering if I'm in a massive minority here or what :p

Associate
I've never seen the word dilemna before this thread. I reckon you probably just read it wrong, as I can't imagine any proofreader letting that one past.

Soldato
Never seem 'dimlena' before and I have a thing about British English. For example, I spell recognize with a 'z' as that is the proper way to go about it.

I await the flaming, but please do your research beforehand as you will not win this.

Caporegime
Never seem 'dimlena' before and I have a thing about British English. For example, I spell recognize with a 'z' as that is the proper way to go about it.

I await the flaming, but please do your research beforehand as you will not win this.

It might be 'correct' but it still looks stupid, thus you fail. :p

Soldato
It appears a lot of people have been taught to spell it dilemna (me being one of them).
Even though the world is now telling me to change that and spell it "dilemma" I think I will stick to dilemna.

Back
Top Bottom