Bike: Replacement Rear Shock

Soldato
I want to replace the rear shock on my Fazer 1000 (Gen1) I've been looking at the Maxton monoshock without the remote reservoir and the Nitron NTR Track. Both are manufactured by companies with reputations for excellent customer service and with heavy involvement in the race scene. Maxton have been around for a bit longer and potentially have more experience with setting up shocks for individual bike models and user requirements however adjusting the rebound and compression settings potentially means taking the shock out of the bike. The Nitron unit has a remote reservoir, ride height adjustment which the Maxton doesn't and the rebound and compression adjusters are easily accessed. I will be getting Maxton to do a fork conversion this winter so it seems to make sense to go with them but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any opinions?

I wont be doing any track days, but like to be able to throw the bike around the Devon A & B roads I ride. Budget is £500 and the shock has to be set up and sprung for my weight which rules out off the shelf options and I'm not interested in a rebuild of the existing shock.

Associate
I've had a Nitron Race shock for track use which was very good with an excellent range of adjustment. You can't go wrong with the Nitron shocks and their price is very reasonable.

Have you considered some of the other off the shelf units as pretty much all of them will ask for you to specify weight so that the spring is matched to the load. Ohlins, White Power, Elka, Nitron, Maxton all ask for this when your supplier orders from them.

Hagon shocks are also worth a look if price is a consideration as although they are more road replacement rather than race orientated the quality is ok. They look a bit less bling and have minimal adjustment but hence cost a lot less, it might be worth investigating.

Whichever shock you buy will be a great improvement but consider getting someone that knows what they're doing to help setup things once its in the bike. The difference is such as great again.

Soldato
I always say get the best available in your budget but if your not going to do any track riding then the Maxton will be fine, they are a good shock!

How much more is the Nitron? if theres not much in it then yea why not get the nitron, will look more trick ;)

Soldato
OP
The Maxton is £405+ VAT, the Nitron is £445+ VAT, with these shocks I'd be dealing direct with the manufacturers (unlike Ohlins & WP) which I'd prefer.

Soldato
I have heard good things about the Nitron.

Another good point about the Nitron is the servicing which is pretty reasonable. Unlike Ohlins etc

Soldato
if you're not doing track days any shock will do as the main reaon for going to a maxton over a budget shock is overheating and loss of damping. it's an issue on the race track where unfortunately its costs more to go cheaper initially.

for the road though, and i don't care how fast you say you go, it is not a race track and as such you will be very, very rarely going like a loon for any period - like 30 mins!

have a word with somebody like ktech and see what they recommend. they could revalve and rebuild your stock shock a lot cheaper than you think - and it would be better suited to what you want. they know they're stuff as their top man Ken works in GPs.

Soldato
yep, I used to have a rather nice WP full race unit when I was on the track all the time. Before that I just took my original unit to KAIS suspension who re gased it, fitted an Ohlins spring and set it up properly for me. was around £100 all in and was great for the road.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the Advice re having the existing shock re-built, I've ruled that out for a number of reasons cheifly that if I come to sell the bike having a shock set up for my 20st+ weight is going to be a major issue for the majority of buyers if they take it for a test ride, being able to put the original back on will solve this. I'm now leaning more towards the Nitron, I think with its length adjustment it will be easier to convert for other bikes if I ever need to, plus the remote reservoir and ease of access to settings would seem to make it more user friendly.

Back
Top Bottom