So ASDA got rid of my favourite line.

Soldato
AFAIK they have taken cottage cheese with apricot/mango and pineapple off the line. Anyone know any alternative places to get such a lovely protein filled dish.

Soldato
Odd question I know, but is cottage cheese what you might describe as a cheesey cheese? I can't stand cheese, but this stuff comes up in nearly every body builders diet I see. I can handle mozzarella cheese at a push, is it anything like that or more of a cheddar/feet kinda affair?

Soldato
Odd question I know, but is cottage cheese what you might describe as a cheesey cheese? I can't stand cheese, but this stuff comes up in nearly every body builders diet I see. I can handle mozzarella cheese at a push, is it anything like that or more of a cheddar/feet kinda affair?

Wrong idea entirely. Think of it as lumpy milk!

Soldato
It's also the staple of many a bodybuilders diet. Not poncy, but rather able to pull off your cholesterol filled arms and shove them up your bottom :p

Ant :cool:

Bodybuilders in my area,including me,eat local full fat unpasteurised cheddar. We prefer enzyme and mineral rich cheese which is also very high in conjugated linoleic acid (look it up) as opposed to an unbalanced cheese such as cottage which is stripped of most of its natural goodness. If you want to eat womens cheese then carry on (ponce!) but I don't reckon you or your bodybuilding,cottage cheese munching mates could pull the arms off a paper doll let alone mine.:p

Soldato
Bodybuilders in my area,including me,eat local full fat unpasteurised cheddar. We prefer enzyme and mineral rich cheese which is also very high in conjugated linoleic acid (look it up) as opposed to an unbalanced cheese such as cottage which is stripped of most of its natural goodness. If you want to eat womens cheese then carry on (ponce!) but I don't reckon you or your bodybuilding,cottage cheese munching mates could pull the arms off a paper doll let alone mine.:p

I've quite a history in the industry so I won't need to look it up chap. But thanks for taking it all ever so seriously. For the record the longer a cheese is matured, the less CLA content it has. Cottage cheese is not only an excellent source of it (moreso than cheddar if memory serves), but it's also not heavily riddled with the saturate fats that're intrinsic to many (bovine derivitive) sources of CLA. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to consume protein rich, low fat food stuffs. And Cottage Cheese is not 'stripped off' but made naturally (look it up).

For the record, although resistance plays a large role in my training, I'm not a bodybuilder.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to consume protein rich, low fat food stuffs. And Cottage Cheese is not 'stripped off' but made naturally (look it up).

There is a lot wrong with low fat diets tbh,the fats in protein rich foods such as Meat and Dairy nourish the body and play a vital role in digestion and absorption of nutrients.

And for the record CLA is concentrated in the milk fat of dairy products so a good full fat cheddar will contain more CLA than the putrid low fat/skimmed milk products you recommend such as low fat cottage cheese. Infact skimmed/semi-skimmed milk products are totally ruined nutrionally and are best completely avoided. Full fat and preferably unpasteurized dairy is the best for us by far.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There is a lot wrong with low fat diets tbh,the fats in protein rich foods such as Meat and Dairy nourish the body and play a vital role in digestion and absorption of nutrients.

And for the record CLA is concentrated in the milk fat of dairy products so a good full fat cheddar will contain more CLA than the putrid low fat/skimmed milk products you recommend such as low fat cottage cheese. Infact skimmed/semi-skimmed milk products are totally ruined nutrionally and are best completely avoided. Full fat and preferably unpasteurized dairy is the best for us by far.

I dont see the part where WantoN is saying a low fat diet is a good way to go, hes saying theres nothing wrong with including something that is naturally low in fat which means you can get a good bit of protein in without the added extra kcals of something higher in fat.
Also its not like its a man made low fat product pumped full of crap carbs to make up for the fat.
Although I also agree with you that theres nothing wrong with some good high fat chedder as long as it fits into your diet

Soldato
I dont see the part where WantoN is saying a low fat diet is a good way to go, hes saying theres nothing wrong with including something that is naturally low in fat which means you can get a good bit of protein in without the added extra kcals of something higher in fat.
Also its not like its a man made low fat product pumped full of crap carbs to make up for the fat.
Although I also agree with you that theres nothing wrong with some good high fat chedder as long as it fits into your diet

Thank you.

I simply said there's nothing wrong with cottage cheese as a form of low fat, high protein food. There's nothing wrong with selecting foods whose fats are not primarily saturated.

I never recommended a 'low fat' diet. I never recommended cottage cheese be made from skimmed or semi-skimmed or that the 'low fat' variety be selected.

The fats in fish and nuts are far more suited to the requirements of the body, dairy wasn't a natural part of our diet in the evolution process, though that's not to say it shouldn't be in our diets.

And you're wrong, the maturation process decreases CLA content, generally it's at it highest in soft cheeses.

At no point have I attacked what you're saying, although the opposite isn't true. I've simply pressed upon you and other forum members that cottage cheese is a good source of dairy proteins, and that its CLA content is high.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom