Car making a ticking noise?

Soldato
Hey guys.

Ever since i got it, my car has made a ticking noise when i accelerate. Its more noticeable when the engine is cold, but even when its warm u can still hear it clearly. The more i put my foot down the faster the ticking gets.

It annoys me and doesn't sound healthy at all.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? anything to worry about? :confused:

Its a MK5 fiesta zetec.

Associate
I'm pretty sure someone has put a bomb in your car, probably set to go off at a certain speed. If you're still driving now you probably shouldn't stop, give me an hour and i'll arrange mass, that'll fix things.

Soldato
As you accelerate suggests a big end had failed, which means it will eventually seize then cease.

However it could just be a tappet, your description is a little ambiguous. A rattly tappet is a happy tappet, in that it won't cause further damage. Tappets can be cheap to rectify too, dependant on the engine.

So you need to decide which it is 1st. Do you only notice it under acceleration? Which engine is it?

Last edited:
Associate
I am having the exact same problem with my saxo vtr. Its really hard to explain but it has made my engine sound a little like a diesel, it is a sort of ticking when under acceleration and a lot more noticeable when cold. I will try and get a recording of it.

Maybe we are sharing a similar problem.

Soldato
I am having the exact same problem with my saxo vtr. Its really hard to explain but it has made my engine sound a little like a diesel, it is a sort of ticking when under acceleration and a lot more noticeable when cold. I will try and get a recording of it.

Maybe we are sharing a similar problem.

Sounds like low/no oil to be honest.

My sister's 106 1.1 sounds like a diesel due to having been run low on oil for some time.

Associate
Sounds like low/no oil to be honest.

My sister's 106 1.1 sounds like a diesel due to having been run low on oil for some time.

I have checked the oil and it seems fine, just under the maximum level. Could it be because the oil is old?

Should I just give it a little top up? I dont want to put too much in though.

Soldato
I have checked the oil and it seems fine, just under the maximum level. Could it be because the oil is old?

Should I just give it a little top up? I dont want to put too much in though.

If it's been run dry/very low before, oil change won't make much difference...which is why my sister's sounds like a dagdag and smokes like a train too. :/

Oil change could lessen the noise I guess, not really something I've experienced to be honest. I'm going to get sister to sell hers and buy something decent. :p

Back
Top Bottom