Steam games seem to kill my net?

Soldato
Right, had this problem for months now, but haven't really played anything up until now :(

Whenever i open L4D2 or CSS, i get into the game, go to join a game, and it takes ages, i'll minimize the game and my net does the old "Cannot identify network adress" :(

As i said, had this problem for ages, even on my old hard drive?

Any ideas to solve it? Really fancy some CSS again :)

Cheers,
Dan

Man of Honour
Sounds like the server browser is refreshing a lot of games? I take it your not joining from direct IP but from a list of servers?

If so either your router is kicking in DOS protection due to the flood of packets or your NIC drivers aren't capable of handling that load.

Its also possible (if this happens between 5pm and midnight but is fine at other times of day) and your on an ISP that uses BT's traffic management platform that you are running into an incompatibility in their system. (BT's traffic management system has a serious bug they won't acknowledge with the steam application). This will only affect people who have exceeded the FUP tho.

Soldato
I had this problem or similar with O2 using a netgear dg834gt up until a couple of months ago. After playing games on steam, l4d etc, websites wouldnt load even though the net was stick connected as i could continue to play games online. It all worked fine using the standard o2 box so something with the dg834gt was causing it. Never figured out what was causing it but about a month or so ago it suddently stopped happening :confused: :)

Man of Honour
I had this problem or similar with O2 using a netgear dg834gt up until a couple of months ago. After playing games on steam, l4d etc, websites wouldnt load even though the net was stick connected as i could continue to play games online. It all worked fine using the standard o2 box so something with the dg834gt was causing it. Never figured out what was causing it but about a month or so ago it suddently stopped happening :confused: :)

834 has DOS flood protection - default settings are quite agressive - not sure if you can change it in the default firmware/control panel but with the DGTeam firmware you can turn down how agressive it is or turn it off entirely. (Security->SPI Firewall->UDP Flood).

Last edited:
Soldato
834 has DOS flood protection - default settings are quite agressive - not sure if you can change it in the default firmware/control panel but with the DGTeam firmware you can turn down how agressive it is or turn it off entirely. (Security->SPI Firewall->UDP Flood).

Ah cheers for that. Im im using the DGTeam firmware but with most settings on defaults. As I said above the problem has gone now but if it comes back i'll give that a try :)

Soldato

I've always had a similar problem like this - whenever I'm downloading a game/update on Steam, I'm unable to use the net anywhere else :(

I have the Netgear DG834G - So it must be a router problem...

Back
Top Bottom