Oil Top-up?

Soldato
I apologise in advance for such petty questions but I've never done this stuff before.

I have a Golf Mk4 2.0 GTI and the oil light came on about 5 miles ago on my way home. Tomorrow morning I'll check the dipstick but assuming I need to top up, does it matter about mixing new stuff with whatever is in there at the moment?

I've been told that I need to buy semi-synthetic but how much will I need?
How do I know how much I'm putting in? Do I put some in and check the dipstick every so often?

Thanks for any advice :)

Caporegime
Well if your oil light is on you'll need at least 500ml to get it above low on the dipstick. You need to consult your handbook on what oil to use, topping up is fine.

When was the last time you checked the oil level?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Surely all your doom mongering depends on whether its an oil LEVEL light which will simply mean it is on minimum and requires a topup, or an oil PRESSURE light which means you are in trouble.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;16383517 said:
Surely all your doom mongering depends on whether its an oil LEVEL light which will simply mean it is on minimum and requires a topup, or an oil PRESSURE light which means you are in trouble.

if its a red light generally that means stop and fix immediately, if its on some sort of multi functional display that might just be a level indicator

Caporegime
I'm sure it doesn't have a top up light, however we shall find out tomorrow to see if there's no oil on the dipstick, if it's a duff sensor or indeed it just needs a top up.

Man of Honour
if its a red light generally that means stop and fix immediately, if its on some sort of multi functional display that might just be a level indicator

He doesnt say what colour it is. Best thing to do is read the cars owners handbook which should explain exactly what to do.

Soldato
OP
It's a yellow gravy pot light :)
Edit - Manual says a steady yellow light means the engine oil level is too low.

What's good to buy from Halfords then?

Last edited:
Caporegime
[TW]Fox;16383517 said:

the oil level light on the volvo comes on when its halfway between max and min, so only about 0.3 litres from max or something small.

Soldato
OP
Is that what I should do, because I'm on my way out to Halfords right now?
I guess at least I will have oil for next time? I never had to put oil in my 1.6 Focus for the entire time I had it.

Soldato
OP
Just got whatever was cheapest ;)
I'm just playing - the box said something like Semi-synthetic 40 W 10 Castrol something, I can't remember what type of Castrol oil it was though?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just edited - the Halfords spinning index thing said that's what I should get but I didn't know the difference between the brands. I just went for Castrol just because I know that name from somewhere. I also didn't know what the difference was between variable or long service was?

Back
Top Bottom